Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Is there a source of rebuilt transmissions that ships?

If you want rebuilt is rebuilding yours an option or then you got too much down time?

Have you checked with Subaru?

this place lists them at only $6,000.....$7,000 dollars. LOL. really, who is buying that?

http://www.trademotion.com/parts/2003/SUBARU/OUTBACK/?siteid=214857&vehicleid=1418172&section=AUTOMATIC%20TRANSAXLE

i got a Subaru remanned for mine out of a yard - I guess it was replaced under warranty?

Yeah, I'm going down the list of options at this stage.

800-1200 to replace the pinion bearing, 650 of that is just getting the trans in and out.

Rebuilt trans that I put in, I have no idea.

'Junkyard' trans via car-part . com, 800-1500 or so, with a few in driving distance. Not sure yet if any of those are rebuilt.

I know a local excellent trans shop that needed to do the same repair on a 99 a few weeks ago. Called to see if I had any parts. I've had them service(valve bodies, solenoids, etc.) probably 20 vehicles(Saturns, Chevy's and VW's) and rebuild a few (Chevy, VW) all with great success at a fair price. Family run for 30 years? Everything from specialty 4WD's to mining carts, antique trans and stuff. But mostly the common cars and light trucks.

If Pittsburgh PA (acutally about 30 miles ENE not close to the city) is driving distance I can ask them how much to do another one.

Doubt they have a core though. PM me if interested.

Many wrecking yards use United Parcel Service (UPS) to ship parts. Ask a wrecking yard if a tranny can be shipped via UPS. One strong delivery guy should be able to carry the tranny to your front door. Often the yards will use super heavy duty commercial grade cling film to wrap parts for shipping.

A used tranny is the way to go, not any sort of a rebuild, which would be too expensive.

I've found two used ones with about 100k on them for $800-$935, with a parts warranty, both within 50 miles, now I'm trying to track down a driveshaft.

Also now need to rule out any noise other than pinion bearing or front output shaft bearing, before I shell out $800.

FWD fuse made no change in the noise, so I figure it's not anything associated with the rear driveshaft (carrier bearing, rear output bearing)

FWD fuse made no change in the noise, so I figure it's not anything associated with the rear driveshaft (carrier bearing, rear output bearing)
positive those can't make noise still? they're still turning with the FWD fuse in as they're driven by the rear wheel, axle,diff turning, they're just not driven. i would expect a change, less, or complete disappearance of noise in FWD but unsure of that.

positive those can't make noise still? they're still turning with the FWD fuse in as they're driven by the rear wheel, axle,diff turning, they're just not driven. i would expect a change, less, or complete disappearance of noise in FWD but unsure of that.

It only makes noise under load, and is silent with no load, so I would expect if I were unloading the noisy component I would hear at least some difference.

'Junkyard' trans via car-part . com, 800-1500 or so, with a few in driving distance. Not sure yet if any of those are rebuilt.

That's where I found my transmission, Mine went out at like 230K something by locking up, so I did a search that day I found a 98 forester transmission with 89K for like $300 I think in NH, drove up and picked it up.

It seems like the more further you are away from a large city the cheaper the prices.. most places here wanted some like $300 for one with almost the same miles I had or more.