Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What can I use to get wheel stud out?

I gotta get my tires mounted and I want to replace my wheel stud that broke on the LF wheel, Is getting the ABS tone wheel off going to be hard? I think it's held in by hex bolts?

I've heard of squeezing the bolt out but that tool is like $30 alone for it :-/

if you take off the ebrakes and unbolt the tone ring there is just enuff room to drift out the old stud and can just get the new one in i use a nut with a stack of washers to pull the new stud in

It's the left front wheel so no ebrake I hope ;) I hear some say use a hammer and I hear some say no because of the wheel bearings..

Just how much force does it take to get the stud to start backing out?

I had to change a few and I tried hitting it with a dead weight hammer and got nowhere. One hit with the 2lb sledge and out it came! Put the new one in and added some washers and it pulled right in. I also had a tire place change on during a tire installation for $25 as it was convenient for me at the time. Part is a couple of dollars so easy to do.

I have a 3lb I keep handy, I will try this Friday.. Ok dumb question but does the dealer sell lug nuts by the single? Or anyplace? Whole reason this happen was I was going around a curve near my house and I saw the lug nut roll off into the grass so as soon as I got home I saw the whole wheel was loose.

I might have to check tomorrow, I don't want to steal one of my summer lug nut bolts, I might hit the tone wheel screws Friday with some kroil, Kroil and a torch works wonders in getting really stuck things to move, I think my FSM is in storage, anyone know off hand what the torque rating is on the bolts for the tone wheel?

I have put the tone rings on and made them reasonalby tight with an allen wrench. You know, not Bruce Banner tight but nice and tight.

On a second note, something I have not seen mentioned is that you might want to remove the ABS sensor from the knucke if possible. This way when you hit the stud with the hammer you don't impart severe shock to the sensor.

Has any one done this without removing the sensor and not have any problems? Just curious. :cool:

Good Luck!

Dean

Edited by doc526

suspension stuff doesn't matter in the northeast - "about so" is good and rust will fixate it for good shortly afterwards. :banghead:

Haha so true.. I'm trying to figure out later on how I'm going to get the rear diff out, I want to change it to a LSD.

$2.49 for one not bad..

Edited by 1-3-2-4

All done! Pretty easy, however one of the tone ring bolts had a stripped head because I by mistake started leaning in on it and it got sideways.. Anyways I had to drill it out to fit in the new studs, kroil and the bolts came out really easy..

IMAG0627.jpg

IMAG0625.jpg