Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2000 2.5 SHOC into a 2002 Legacy

I picked up a 2002 2.5 Subaru Legacy with a hole in the block. Helps to keep oil in the engine :eek:

I had a 2000 2.5 engine from the yard. I installed it today and it did not start, a quick look at the crank gear confirmed they were different. The 2000 had the old style and the 2002 had the new style with numerous teeth.

I swapped the crank and Drivers side gears (Thanks Shawn) and it did fire up but it's missing.

I need to double check the timing as it was getting dark and cold. But other than the timing is there anything else that needs to be changed?

The 2000 does have the additional airbox sensor and vent hose. I was just going to pick up the matching air box.

Thanks Larry

agreed - keep the intake with the vehicle if you can.

missing - any check engine lights?

plugs/wires/coil pack?

there's one early SOHC EJ25 issue where there's a different timing belt depending if it's from a Forester or Legacy around 2000...if your 2000 is from a Forester you might look into that. Davebugs has attempted to explain that in depth on here in a post, might want to find that if you think it's worth your time.

there's one early SOHC EJ25 issue where there's a different timing belt depending if it's from a Forester or Legacy around 2000...if your 2000 is from a Forester you might look into that. Davebugs has attempted to explain that in depth on here in a post, might want to find that if you think it's worth your time.

YES!!

SHort version (you can search my memory literally isn't what it was).

After 2 bad 99 Forester SOHC's IIR I had them bring me a 2000 Legacy SOHC, then another 2002 Legacy 2.5 SOHC. Worst trouble I ever had with a car.

Now I forget but I think it was between the 200 and 2002 Legacy (but possible between the 99 Forester SOHC and either of the Legacy engines the belt I purchased for the first 99 Forester replacement engine was too short.

I thought I was loosing my mind when I did the usual tricks and couldn't get it on.

A quick look and couldn't figure out why I needed a longer belt - all looked the same to naked eye.

Called the parts store and the 2 engines did call for a different Dayco belt.

Other than the timing belt issue swapping the intake which I had planned on and I did the HG's anyways and resealed the engine as usual.

But the belt was a real head scratcher until I figured it out.

I am not sure about your situation, but I have experienced similar troubles with mixing and matching forester vs legacy engines, the difference in that case was the cam pulleys, resulting in the need for a different timing belt. (This is assuming the intake is ok). The pulley has a slightly different diameter/number of teeth, if I remember right it is the drivers side pulley. The black plastic gear from the forester is definitely different from the legacy, not sure about the other models. There are also little protrusions cast into the back of this pulley for timing, these can be different as well.

I think if you swap all of your timing pulleys and gears from the original engine to the new you are ok, anyone else know if that is correct? You have to be careful because it can result in a one of a kind configuration if you do it this way.