Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Timing belts

I have recently aquired an 1987 GL with a 1.8 liter 4WD with 33,000 original miles I was told that the timing belts needed R&R and the owner didnt want to spend the money so I got the car.The car would only run if the gas was wide open and then it would run at an Idle speed only.I checked the timing marks on each cam gear and the left bank (distriburator side) was off by one or two teeth due to the age of the car and almost certain the belts have never been replaced I put on new belts and aligned all the timining marks both gears and the flywheel where they should be.The right bank was at 12oclock position and the left at the 6 oclock.But know Im still having the same problem car wont run unless the gas is wide open and then it only runs at idle rpms seems like the left side isnt firing at all Is there something in the distributor which could cause this. As far as I know the distibutor has never been out.Any help would be greatly appreciated as Im looking forward to driving this car its in grate shape just needs some TLC Thanks..

if i remember correctly,ive only done belts once,there is a notch at the TOP of both rear covers for the belts.Align the cogs with these notches.And remember,you want to line up the center of 3lines on the flywheel,not you ignition timing mark

Welcome Slider!!! another Wisconsinite!!! yeah!! :D

When you installed the belts, did you start with the drivers side at the 12 o clock, install that belt, then rotate the engine so that the drivers side was at 6 and passenger side was at 12??? If not, this might be the root of your problem. (i am not the authority on the subject, but had to replace my belts not too long ago, and doing another set on another car right now, just need to find some other related parts first!)

I am sure others will chime in on the subject, but weekends are kinda slow.....be patient and someone will know exactly what the problem is.

Are you in the Salem over near LaCrosse, or the one in southeastern WI?

I made sure that it was lined up with the center mark on the flywheel and that the marks on the cam gears were on the notches on the cover.The book said to put the right belt on rotate the motor one full turn and aligne the left side making sure to stay lined up with the 3 marks on the fly wheel But Im still at a loss Thanks . Salem on the border south After reading your post (heartless) I did the passenger side first then the diver side maybe that is the probelm The book I have siad the right side first then the left

am pretty sure the drivers side is the rearward belt (needing to be put on first), but I have been known to be wrong before... :-p if you do a search here for timing belts there are several write ups on the subject that go into great detail from folks that know a whole lot more than I do.

what kind of book are you using? Haynes and Chiltons can be semi useful for some things but leave a lot to be desired on things such as this. (have both of them myself, and still prefer to come here on most repair subjects)

There are a couple of us Wisconsinites here, but we are few and far between.

Again, welcome to the board!! and good luck with your Subie. :D

Well, your all right with the belts. It sounds like they are installed right. I think the problem could be the cat, typical symptoms. Feel the end of the exhaust pipe with someone in the car giving it the gas. You can also pull the O2 sensor out to test, but that can sometimes be a bear. If you need to have the car inspected yearly, you may have to have a new one installed.

Thanks for the replies,it seems that the passenger side is firing but the driverside isnt would that be the cat or is something wrong with the distributor? Could the distributor be one tooth off(if thats possible) Thanks again for the replies

check the plug wires at the cap.. the disty turns counterclockwise..

\

if they are put on backwards, plug wires 3 and 4 would be backwards, and you would only be running on 2 cylinders..

easiest way to check this is just swap plug wires 3 and 4.. it may run crappy for a minute or so due to plugs gettin fowled by not fireing correctly, but it clears up with a few revs..

this was a mistake i made and it cost me 3 days worth of headache

Ive checked the plug wires and even the timing marks on the cams again even the cat seem to not be plugged.My next question is on the disty,the vac advance doesnt hold open if I place my finger over the line it just goes backto the normal postion I cant find any info on this I do know that I have a denso type disty Thanks..