Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Turbo Transmission Q

I got an 88 GL10 Turbo wagon with 5mt and locking center differential. Using the information on gears found here, calculated my stock gearing and the gearing for this 5 speed.

.871*3.7= 3.2227 -Turbo gearing

.855*3.9=3.4515 -stock 82 gearing

So putting this transmission into my 82 Brat would decrease my RPMs to go the same speed in top gear, correct?

I know it the turbo has 25 spline stubs, can the shafts be swapped out to the 23 spline stubs from my 4 speed?

I know it the turbo has 25 spline stubs, can the shafts be swapped out to the 23 spline stubs from my 4 speed?

No. You can't swap stubs on MT's without splitting them open and I am not entirely sure that 4 speed stubs would work. 5MT stubs (right up through EJ stuff) would definitely work. You can build custom axles but unless you want to spend a lot of time at the junk yard trying to piece things together you will need to buy 4 axles from one of the "new" axle manufacturers like EMPI and swap the inner joints around. Factory axles use too many joint/shaft sizes and most cars of that vintage have such a mish-mash of axles in them that there's no telling what will fit - thus the easiest way is to buy 4 new axles - 2 EA81 and 2 Impreza and swap the inner joints.

GD

your #'s are off just a tad.

Here you go

5spd turbo FT4wd= .871 x 3.7 = 3.2227

82 4spd D/R 4wd= .885 x 3.9 = 3.4515

And for comparison

5spd N/A 5mt S/R or D/R 4wd= .781 x 3.9 = 3.0459

So actually you would get better top end gearing out of a Stock EA82 5spd, single or dual range. And they have 23spline stubs so no probs with axles in your brat. You won't have the FT4wd:-\

FWIW, you can put 23 spline stubs into a Turbo 5spd, but you will have to split the case.

Ive swapped the stubs and would do it again in a heartbeat if it was an EA81 car. Not needing a custom axle is enough for me and I share space with my friend and axle rebuilder Marshall Wolf who is known around here as MWE (Now FW Enterprises). Being able to replace one when I am away from home is the big thing.