Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Tell me EVERYTHING you know about Ski Team Wagons

For those who don't know, I recently purchased/traded for the 1983 Ski Team Wagon that Tom (TheLoyale) has been working on over the past year.

1983-ski-1_zps48aa24be.jpg

Sitting in my driveway looking almost as cool as the 1980s.

So I've been researching these cars and coming up mostly dry. I know it was a joint venture between Subaru and the Ski teams from the late 70s until early 90s originally to gain some attention and market the new 4wd of the Subarus.

But how many did they make? How many are still out there? Where are they and who owns them?

It looks like the restoration will continue and I'm also looking for a source to replicate the decals on the car to restore it to near originality. I'll be making full size traces of every decal before doing the rust work and paint to the car.

Any info is appreciated as all I can find so far are some old advertisements and a smattering of info on a few others out there. I'm wanting to complete and preserve this vehicle as best i can. And I'm genuinely curious as to the history.

• Like 2

I'm Glad to read that the '83 Ski Wagon is in Good Hands again; I don't have much info about those, but as far as I know, another USMB member owns (or had) another one like yours.

By the Way, 1983 was the Last Year of that EA81 model for the Ski Wagon Team, because they where the First to obtain a Brand New EA82 Ski Wagon in 1984 (for the 1984 Olympics), See:

~►

Kind Regards.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My dad worked at a subie dealership here i oregon back when they were making these ski team wagons. He told me his dealership had one for sale and that he borrowed it for a weekend ski trip to Mt. Hood. So I believe you could buy them new with these decals. All this time he knows I'm a subaru freak and he dosen't bother to share that gem of a story till just this week. <_<

I remember the ski wgns. here in Denver,Co. BURT SUBARU used to sponser them..I tried to get my dad to get a wgn. instead the sedan 83 {I had a 77 4x wgn.at the time} I used for camping :) but he didn"t want 1 :( ...The only reason he bought a Subie was because of mine {I wish I had it now :( } Thats how SUBIES got noticed was the ski team and then owwie {audi} had to pop up and took Subies thunder w/more pwr.{5cyl.}4whl.drv.leather int.more comfort blah,blah,Subies were more utilitarian than pretty :o {they WORK} but the options I do remember specific on the pre-83s were they had JACKMAN WHLS.{straight spoke}on them and the ski team stickers w/roof racks for skis....other than that they were fully loaded Subies...

• 1 month later...

Subaru Fanatic;

I just bought a totally  "rust free" 1982 subaru GL, white in color with blue plaid seats...fully loaded...with center headlight......engine has been replaced with EA81....new tires....original white spokes.....could have been a ski-team model with decals taken off..

No decals...but I am planning to decal it and sell in fall to some lucky skier probably on ebay....    Your comments and pics help alot....

Mellow

• 4 weeks later...