Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Timing ???

ok this was the 5th time i disassembled the front of the engine, i can now do it with my eyes closed and hands tied behind my back.

for time, did it to redo everything, put it back together, forgot to put on the michly mouse seal and it would kick off the crank pully. re do that stuff, crank still spin, tore it apart again, put in a new pin today. put it back together, now it wont start, and i think its timing concidering i got a nice freakin shock from the coil, and i can smell gas so i got those.

then i did it again to redo the timing, i put it on 8degrees on the timing mark on the flywheel, then put the cams facing strait up, well the timing wholes on the cam gears are facing up now, put it back together, seems worse.

so how do i properly time this dam thing, i need to have her going by saturday.

Thanks for any help,

Shean

Do you have a manual? If you were closer I'd lend you mine. I dont have it here in front of me, but as I remember you set the flywheel on the 3 dash marks and set the left cam with the mark up and the right with the mark down. I cam go check the book or you can go here and look for the info:

http://www.finleyweb.net/default.asp?id=142

Gary

i got a stupid rump roast haynes that doesnt say crap about the marks on the flywheel.

i just searched and about 8 pages back i found one by chance by milesfox, about timing belt stuff. ends up i use the 3 marks and not the others. im an ideot, so now i got to go rid it apart again and redo everything. lets see how long it takes me, its 5:30pm now.

Shean

scooby,

I don't have my FSM in front of me but if I remember correctly timing is set like this....

flywheel @ TDC

driver's side cam timing hole straight up, put on driver's side timing belt

crank flywheel about 180 degrees clockwise until you see the 3 tick marks on the flywheel, pass side cam timing hole straight up (you don't care where the driver's side cam timing hole is) attatch the pass side belt

rotate flywheel a couple times and stop at TDC. If everything went well, your cam timing holes will be at 45 degrees, drivers side @ about 10:30 the passengers at about 1:30.

I think that's rigth but like I said, with out my FSM, I'm talking from foggy memory, someone else will straighten me out

garner

scooby,

I don't have my FSM in front of me but if I remember correctly timing is set like this....

flywheel @ TDC

driver's side cam timing hole straight up, put on driver's side timing belt

crank flywheel about 180 degrees clockwise until you see the 3 tick marks on the flywheel, pass side cam timing hole straight up (you don't care where the driver's side cam timing hole is) attatch the pass side belt

rotate flywheel a couple times and stop at TDC. If everything went well, your cam timing holes will be at 45 degrees, drivers side @ about 10:30 the passengers at about 1:30.

I think that's rigth but like I said, with out my FSM, I'm talking from foggy memory, someone else will straighten me out

garner

yep, you where exactally right, when i re set it and turn it another 360 they where off, but i said **** it and if its off, it take 40 minutes to take it apart and put it back together now so its ok, finished, and she cranked up first time, no ticking and running smoother then ever.

and man, i am sooooo happy im done, now i just got to fill the tank with gas, get my lisence on saturday, and im gone.