Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Grassroots Motorsports $2004 Challenge - RX

We're back from the Grassroots Motorsports Magazine $2004 Challenge. I didn't post about the build up here, as I was too busy working on the car. lol.... Big thanks to WJM and the time he put in on the car as well as the time he spent listening to me curse and jump up and down about random different things during the sub-2 week build up. Some pics of the buildup can be found here: http://www.subaruworld.net/rx/challenge.html and I will hopefully have some event pics up soon. Overall we finished 42nd out of 80-some cars. For our first time at the event, I wasn't too upset, but I would have liked to been at least top 20. (don't worry, the plans are in order for next year and they include an old school subie with big power!) Next year I'm going for the win!!

1987 RX - 3 Door

Drag Strip: Best time 16.3sec 1/4 mile

Autcross: Best time 57.7xx (ftd was 54.6xx I belive and it was a GLHS Omni IIRC)

Car show we finished just above the top 1/2 of the cars.

The mods of the car: cone filter, no 2nd cat, glasspack muffler, stock downpipe. Delta Cams, fresh head job, 14psi stock turbo, springs 250lb front 300lb rear, custom made camber/castor plate. Engine reassembly using stock gasket kit, new water pump, several new hoses, new stock clutch.

The car roasts the tires on launch at the strip, and revs very freely into the redline with no fuel cut. I did notice fuel cut a couple of times when entering the interstate. It wasn't at full throttle, but rather 75% and only when sitting around 10psi.

Steven

I wish that they would move that around the country, it's a long way from Washington state to where they hold them. I always wanted to build a car for that event, but gave up when I found out where they held the event. But that the is typical, most magazine are east coast flavored, so we don't see much of those types of events out here. It must be something about only have three states on the west coast line.

By the way, congratulations.

How much did you spend on the camber/caster plates? How did you figure where to place the bearing? Did you make them or have them made? I want some!

They were custom made by one of our local autocrossers. He said he would make more, but wanted $200/set as he wasn't really interested in making more. It's very possibly you can use a Impreza/Legacy/WRX front camber plate. I know wjm had to slightly modify the old set I had on my legacy, but he was able to fit them in both his rx and his wagon. The one downside was having to pound in the bump on the inside of the strut tower for spring clearence. I may consider making some of those plates cheaper if the person who designed it doesn't mind, and I find a good source for the bearings.

Corky, the one in LA IS an unlimited budget, but for the last couple of years it has been well rounded cars with quality engeneering and good drivers that have won. I think that if you modded your project to be the next level of proformance from where its headed right now, you 'd have a competitive car. The only trouble with that competition is that the readers of the mag vote 10 cars in so youd have to wow some people. I think it'd be cool if you did either of the comps.