Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ABS Relays - dealer only part?

I have a bad ABS relay in my 97 OB. Diagnosing the problem was the easy part, and now I am determined to find a replacement relay without going to the dealer. Has anyone found a source for ABS relays used in Soobs other than the dealer?

How about other vehicles that use the same relay? The bone yards in my area rarely have Soobs, but I doubt the relay is specific to Subaru vehicles.

If the dealership is my only option I will do it, but this board has always had terrific resources so I thought I should check here first.

Thanks in advance,

Max

On the picture in the diagnostic manual, both ABS relays look like Bosch type (maybe because the system was licensed from Bosch?), with Bosch numbering of the pins. But Bosch relays come in several configurations, different in width and arrangement of the pins. You'd have to find an exact match.

Maybe they are copies of Bosch? All the other relays in the car are different. Also, the pictures I saw were for '95 ABS, but you know what a Bosch "cube" relay looks like, so you can tell if that's what you have.