Ultimate Subaru Message Board

instrument clusters on ea81's

So, today, I decided to attempt to replace my dash lights with blue bulbs... well. I quickly descovered that I have to tear apart half the dash and remove the instrument cluster first before getting to the bulbs. So I spent 2 hours at this, put in the bulbs... and was very pleased with results, other than the fact that the front 2 mini lamps have a big yellow filter in the fixture, and unfortunataly are the 2 main light producing lights... So, back to the drawing board, I'm wondering if theres an easy way to change thoes yellow pieces of thin plastic to blue pieces of thin plastic... I have a second insturment cluster I've decided I'm going to expierment with the bulb colors for now and a 12 volt power supply instead of tearing apart my dash everytime I wanna see how it looks.:lol: If anyone has any cool ideas I haven't thought of, I'd like to hear em :grin: Thanks all.

Find a shop that sells theater equipment, they have the filters that go over the stage lights to make them different colors (can't remember the name of them anymore, been years since I was on a stage, I wanna say cellulose). But that stuff is fairely thick, and with a heat gun you can shape it rather well into the shape of the old filters in the dash. :brow:

You can also tal to your local high-school or college theatre department. What you are after is called a gell. Its translucent plastic. Very cool stuff. Since you aren't looking for much, just go to the local HS or College and ask for a small sheet. They're usually happy to get it out of the shop.

Sounds like something to try:brow: If I suceed, and it's fairly cheap to do, I'm thinking about putting together kits, for diffrent dash colors, and seeing if they sell, Austin thinks it's a really good idea:)