Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I would like to adjust the clutch cable on my 97 OBS so that the engagement point is closer to the floor. Is there such a cable on this car; if so where is it and can it be adjusted easily?

Thanks in advance.

It is easily adjusted...just tweaked with mine this weekend. Location is hard to describe...I would say back of the engine bay on the drivers side of center you will find two cable actuated thingys (technical term). One is for the hillholder (actually you have a 2.5 so I think it does not have the hill holder) this makes it simpler should be just one thingy. You will need two wrenches. One for the lock nut and one for the front nut. Dial the front nut out a few threads and then lock it up...(you can just temporarily tighten it with your hand) test it out and move the nuts to your preference. Too far and it won't come out of gear...not far enough and it won't go into gear...you'll figure it out. Lock the nuts and go beat the crap out of it.icon10.gif

I would say you have a 96 then because 96 w/ 5mt was the last year the OB had 2.2s...unless its not an OB then you could have a 2.2. I am right aren't I? Plus if it was a 2.2 it would have hill holder...my 98 2.2 has it. But no a 96 would also have hill holder...I don't mean to start a debate but I'm confident you have a phase 1 2.5l...unless you've swapped motors.

Anyway, if you can't find the cable adjustment have someone depress the clutch and look in the area I told you and you will see it moving.

I'm surprised this is a cable and not hydraulic. But if it is indeed a cable, then adjustment is NOT as easy as you might think. I learned this the hard way after putting my transmission back in my 91 Legacy. If you tighten the cable too much, you will actuallu stretch the cable and bring the release point up HIGHER, even though logic suggests that it would bring it down lower. It might be worth it to just take it to the dealer, pay $35 for a half-hour and let them adjust it to exact specs....

Just finished the adjustment. It was a piece of cake. Had my wife junp in and press the clutch so I could see what moved. Noticed a rod coming through the firewall toward the center of the car toward the driver side. Loosened one retaining nut, then unscrewed the main nut until I got the release point I wanted and retightened the retaining nut. Clutch now catches much lower but the pedal doesn't have much resistance at all until it is halfway depressed.

Thaks everyone for your help = 97 impreza