Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ideas on getting a seized brake drum off

I need a new wheel cylider for insp. Put one in tonight and went to bleed it and when I opened the bleeder it came out literally, I guess they put it on too tight and stripped it. Now the wheel cylider has frozen completely open, the two back bolts holding it on won't come out as it appears it has twisted from the force. Any ideas on how to get the darn thing off?

I had an adjuster stick on me on my 85, stuck out and would not retract. I lowered the car to the ground and bumped the clutch a few times in first and reverse, and the rotational force, forced the shoes back to where they should have been after I turned the adjuster in.

Worth a try...

This can be really nasty. I had this happen on my 87 Brat I used to have.

Ultimately the solution was to heat and beat the drum until the edge crumbled and then reach in with a prybar/screwdriver and break all the clips so the shoes wouldnt pressure the drum anymore.

Another thing I tried in this situation that helped a little is you can pound the wheel studs into the brake drum. Its a tight squeeze but you can get 2 of them to pop into the inner area and then use a pick tool to fish the brake parts around thru the stud holes.