Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1st Gen Legacy stereo wiring -- dimming wire??

Haynes stereo schematic doesn't show a specific dimming function for the factory stereo. My CD player is a little bright at night. Before I pull it to check anybody know offhand if there is a dimming wire? I seem to recall the factory stereo would dim with lights on.

Most aftermarket head units have a trigger for dimming the head unit when the interior lights come on. I haven't personally seen any aftermarket head units that offer a dimmer feature that works with the stock setup.

I believe a lot of that has to do with the fact the amount of juice going to the lighting in the stock head unit was designed and setup by the factory to be the same as the rest of the interior lights. With an aftermarket unit....there's really no way to regulate it will be the same.

If your new head unit has a dimming feature to it, yes there is a wire you can hookup to the factory setup that will dim the head unit when the interior dash lights are turned on.