Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2000 Outback rear gate key won't work

2000 outback ,just got it used .

My 2 keys won't unlock rear gate .The lock will not turn .

The keys work on the doors .

I have keyless system .The rear gate will unlock with it .

I just don't know if I'm missing something to get it to work with the key.

Thanks

Joe

The rear gate may have been damaged in the past with a gate from another car then put in it's place. I believe there are little stickers on the gate that has the auto vin number on it. If it doesn't match, that's your problem

• 7 months later...

I'd go along with that. On my 91 Leg LS, the key and driver's side lock got worn down so bad it didn't work in the ignition any more. The last owner only replaced the ignition with a new lock core and key but none of the door locks. So now I have a totally smooth key that is about the size of a hanger that works in driver's side door and trunk and a seperate new key for the ignition. No key works for the passenger door or to lock the trunk. Someday maybe I'll replace 'em all but for now I like my antiquated system.

In answer, yes, you should only need one key to open all locks.

Brian

When I got my Legacy wagon, the key I got was so worn that it only worked with "a lot of wiggling" and only if you put it in the right way up (the sides of the key were worn diferently), so I took the key to a locksmith and had him "read" the key for the code that it should have had. The guy working with me at first made several tries, and some were close, but still took a lot of wiggling. . . Finally the owner of the shop took it as a personal chalange to get a key that works. . .

Charged me $25, and yes I'll do all my business with them in the future. . .

Essentially, the key I had had worn down almost to the next size down on all of the positions. . . I had been effectively "picking the lock every time I unlocked the door or started the car. . .

When i got my 97 GT i had the same problem with the rear hatch and the passenger side door. I sprayed a lot of penetrating oil inside the lock mechanism thru the keyhole and left it for a half hour then used the key to slowly work it back and forth till it started working.

I then used lithium grease to lubricate the lock

Maybe you already thought of this and ruled it out, but is it possible you received two valet keys instead of a master? The center grooves and ridges of the two are of different width and location so the valet key will not work at all in the rear deck lock. If so, you might be able to get a locksmith to use the valet key as the template to cut a master.