Ultimate Subaru Message Board

NGK washer locked onto thread of spark plug=bad running engine...

I just got a 98 OBS 2 months ago. I have had a 93 Impreza for years and have did a lot of maintenance myself. But in the 98 OBS, I am blowing off CYL Misfire #2 codes all the time, do my first instict is to change the spark plugs. Well, both #2, and #4 had the spark plug washer half way against the seat of the spark plug, and the opposite side up about 3-4 notches on the thread.

I have changed many spark plugs before, and I have never had a washer skip threads like that. Now I wonder if there is anything I can put on the spark plug seat and the washer? to keep it stuck together until it is tight so that the washer is not moving around while I tighten the spark plug?

Max.

the plug and it is not a problem. It is not that unusual to have one back off when you remove it.

I have seen mechanics lose the washer, jam it on the threads cross threaded and stick it, and crack the plug by torqueing wrong.

This just show you can screw up anything if you try.

I wonder if I could put loc-tite between the seat and the washer? I think it could with stand the temps on top of the cylinder right?

Max

All loctite products break down at 200 degrees which is useful if you come upon bolts that have been assembled with the red threadsealer which is not intended to allow you to unwrench the fastener at a later time. If the washer is threaded on all the way when you start in with the plug it will stay out of the way during assembly. Crushing the washer and torquing the threads is all that's needed to keep the plugs from ever backing out.