Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Also drove an 05 today, among other other 05 model info... (RS Pro, CA engines, etc.)

Pics: http://community.webshots.com/album/144542676FpLRKI

So aparently the 05 Outbacks are showing up now in California, monday or tuesday basically every dealership in my area got some in so today we went to check them out

Basically there were only base model 2.5's in white gold or the other funky colors, and one that was a 2.5 Limited in silver and another that was the new blue/green color and also a base model.

The bad news: I did discover that they ALL have the PZEV motor that was an optional model here in California for the 04's. Thats the one I drove too, with an auto tranny. OMG, it totally sucked... I was very disapointed, even the sport shift didnt help... I dont think having 4 people in the car helped either, BUT the tranny shifted like garbage, so I went and drove my mothers 2000 GT limited to be sure, and yes it is faster than the 05 I drove, much faster and shifted far better too. Theres no way i'd get one unless it was an XT.

The good news: The interior is absolutely fantastic. Definatly Acura quality. I was VERY impresed. Loved the steering wheel too :D The beige interior is nice, the grey cloth was even better. I cant wait to see the GT's though

The handling was surprizingly good! Even with the base model outback, there was basically no body roll along with a very smooth ride. I took it hard around some corners with 4 people in the car and it just tucked right in and went, I was very impressed. Handles better by FAR than the previous gen models.

The looks, im not sure about. Its an outback all right, dont care for the rear lights now though, but the font is nice. I dont know about the body cladding still...

Very good car, but I think my parents are now 100% on getting a Forester XT, since the Outback XT or Legacy wagon GT's are up around 29k with the auto tranny, while we can get an XT right now for $24k. The interior on the XT isnt a huge let down either compaired to the new legacies, its almost as good, but ya the handling wont be there but thats fine.

Anyway for some other news, the RS pro is a screaming deal!!! Its under $20k, has the WRX seats, STI steering wheel, the new better HP 2.5l engine, STI foglight covers among other things, and that nice new interior. I was blown away, I would definatly get an RS Pro Wagon right now if I could :eek:

I took pics of the CA PZEV engine and exhaust, they are in the pics folder at the top of the page... Its a VERY different setup. Probably the same block, but as you can see the intake manifold is totally different even from the new ones, with aparently TWO air filter elements, and the exhaust has THREE cats along with a very odd box... Crazy stuff.

What is that darn Mazda and that Dodge doing on a Subaru page...shame on you :D

Thank God that they finally got rid of the under car plastic crap that makes changing oil and stuff so darn difficult!!!!

RS Pro: Looks interesting.....could possibly be my next vehicle....Wife likes it too..:grin:

Matt

I'm going to the dealer tomorrow to pick up some front oil seals. I hope they have them in Reno cuz I might have to go for a little test drive. hehe I wanna drive that XT!

The PZEV is only robbing 4hp. The auto 2.5 outbacks have always been sluggish. Anyone know what the "I" and "R" stand for on the 05 legacys?