Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82 stiffer spring questions

Has any body tried XT-6 springs on the front of a EA82?

I was thinking of using XT-6 front springs and the Accord springs on the rear of my '87 RX Coupe. I'll chop them down a bit so it doesn't ride too high.

Has anybody tried this? Does anybody know anything about spring rates and stuff for this application? Will it blow my handling if the spring rates are out of wack front to rear?

I'm trying to stiffin up my car (ghetto style) for Rally Cross.

Thanks.

I am also very interested to know if XT6 springs will work. I already plan on doing the Honda spring mod.

XSNRG - Have you thought about using a set of Honda lowering springs for the rear? You'd wind up at about stock height after it's all said and done and in general, a lowering spring is quite a bit stiffer than a stock one.

Just read over the post again....

For rally cross...the RX springs/struts would be perfect. The dampers are 2x as stiff as other factory stuff, and the spring rates are slightly stiffer. My RX rides wonders better compared to the GL-10 abck in the stock days.

The springs on my GL-10 started off as 400lb front and rear...8 in tall on the front, and 10 rear. Ive cut them (no torch! Portaband!) down to 6 front, and 7 rear. The rear is basically on the bumpstops, and the front hits every big/sharp dip. I need to replace the stock bump stops with something better. Otherwise, with the camber/caster plates up front, the handling is WONDERFUL in the corners. Its the bumpy stuff that really upsets the car and then its not very fun...but its certinly exciting. The Previous set of springs, Pleiades has them on his RX now...was just about perfect. The front were 8 tall, and 250 lb rate. the rear were 10 , and 300 lbs. The only thing i would have changed was to cut 2 inches of the rears...it was too high for me. 3 inches of fender clearance...where as the front had about 3/4 of an inch.

So, id go with a stock RX suspension with some camber plates.

Does anybody know the stock spring rate on the Accord springs? I'm wondering if they are stiffer or just longer. I assumed that front springs would be stiffer but on the RX the fronts are 157 and the rears are 179, so I'm curious about the Accoud spring rates.

I've been wondering if Ebay "Ghetto Coilovers" might be an option. If you search ebay for "subaru suspension" you often get a bunch of tuning conpanies selling cheap sleeve overs (like the ground control set up).

Has anybody looked into these as an option on older subarus?

WJM, the portaband rules!!! best tool for that job for sure

garner