Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My"new" wagon just won me over

Wow. After watching my wagon sink to the rocker panels on the left hand side then remove itself under its own power with a bit of creative jacking and placement of 2 cement blocks and a small sheet of plywood, I truly am amazed of what these cars are capable of.

Sorry I don't have pics, but what happened was I was up visiting my rents and decided to give the wagon a quick rinse. I pulled the car on to the side yard but didn't realize how soft the ground had become or that there are now many small sink holes, it has been a while since I've visited. As soon as I left the pavement the car sank down fast and the right rear wheel shot up 6" off the ground. There was little mud and most of the hole was covered with grass so I didn't see it, no signs to tell me the ground conditions Now my wagon had 1 tire in the air and another dangling in a hole with most of the weight on the left rocker. using the stock jack I lifted the left front, shoved 2 blocks in the hole and layed a sheet of plywood in an attempt to span the majority of the sink hole. Dropped the car, started it, let off the clutch a bit and gave it some gas. After a bit of spinning the car lurched forward and I U-ed it back onto the pavement.

All I can say is what I thought was going to require a lot of work, whinching w/ my Trooper, the help of some people, turned out to be an easier task than I figured it would be. I managed to get the car out in 20 mins alone before any one else got here. Now I have to explain the tracks in my dads yard but thats better than him coming home to find my car cock-eyed in a sink hole in his yard. This is my first Subaru in 8 yrs, my first car was a 2wd sedan at 16, and now I am kicking myself twice, once for getting stuck and once for taking so long to buy another soob, but I'm not perfect.

Craig

I backed my wagon over a very steep slope this winter and ended up with my right front wheel in the air,and my rear foor pan holding the car from making the plunge. I used the scizzors jack and the spare tire to give the dangling rear weel some traction,and the spun its way out with some goading. I really wish I had a LSD 'cause once one wheel is free, you're stuck. I would have been completely done if it wasn't four wheel though.

• 9 months later...

there's an empty lot near my friends house that is used mostly as extra parking space. muddy, and there's a big dip where the edge of the road meets the worn, muddy ground. I used to park there with my '93 soob all the time, just pull in and put it in park. maybe even give it some gas and sling a little mud around to get my car nice and dirty :grin: . the first week that I was forced to drive my sisters 1990 Honda Accord coupe I went to his house and pulled in, and the front end hammered into the ground and I couldn't move. tried to reverse, stuck. i decided to shove some bricks behind the wheels and try to reverse that way, and that worked. I hate Hondas.