Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What's the difference?

Ok, Bare with me on this question I'm new to the whole Subaru scene but whats a Ea82, Ea82T, Ej22, Ea81, and etc.? I was just wondering since I'm gonna become a Subaru owner with in the next week (crosses fingers).

Thanks guys/gals

LeDevil or James

Those are different designations for the motor that is in the car. EA81 is a 1800cc engine that used an under head cam with lifters. The EA82T is the same engine with a Turbo. The EA82 is an 1800cc engine with an overhead cam set-up and timing belts. The EA82T is a turbo version of the same engine. EJ22 is a newer engine with a displacement of 2200cc.

Many people on the board have strong feelings about which engine the prefer but from what I have seen they all work pretty well. The larger/newer ones with fuel injection definetly have more power than the older ones, but the older ones can be had for much less money.

Mike

The codes you are reffering to are the model numbers of engines. Since many parts are common between different models when it comes to Subaru it is just as easy to refer to a group of models in a generation of vehicles by that generations engine model.

For example, the EA81 is a 1.8ltr OHV pushrod engine and came in vehicles such as the BRAT, wagon, hatch etc. in the same time frame. These vehicles all shared transmission, engine, suspension etc. to a great degree. The EA81 is a fantasticly reliable engine and is used allot in the kit aviation community at double the stock output with complete confidence.

The next generation of vehicles was the EA82 series. The RX, XT, Loyale etc. fall into this group. They are slightly larger and have more features. Again, they share many common parts. The EA82 engine itself has some reliability problems compared to the EA81 but is still a good engine.

The current generation is the EJ series. These include the Impreza, outback, etc.They are larger heavier and have all your modern features. There are several EJ series engines ranging from the EJ18 1.8Ltr up to engines such as the EJ25T (T denotes turbo) in the STI.

Again, these generations have a vast common component count. Even if a car did not have a particular component as a feature you can almost always retrofit it with little and often no modification. For example, a single range 83 DL BRAT can get a dual range tranny from an 85 wagon.

Now what is even better is that there is also a fair degree of commonality of components or measurements between generations. In my opinion Subarus are allot like playing with lego blocks, just snap together parts and make what you want. An EJ25 will fit right down onto the crossmember of an XT with no modifications, and minimal fabrication is needed for the tranny mount. One could readily swap in a EJ20T (WRX engine) and tranny into an 84 hatch and then swap in the 5 lug system from the XT6 (an EA82 car) and allow you to mount standard 5 lug Impreza wheels. You can swap the disk brakes from a Turbo car over to the BRAT, or swap an EA82T into a 78 BRAT and use the turbo and intercooler from a WRX Impreza and just for S&G use the full time AWD tranny from the XT.

Actually the EJ series ranges from 1500cc to 2500, they are EJ15, EJ16, EJ18, EJ20, EJ22, and EJ25. The EJ15 and EJ16 were mainly sold in third world countries, and places that taxed cars based on the size of the engine.

Miles, great page.

Dut the FT4WD single range came in XT's as well...not just the XT6. Also came in the GL-10s that were optioned for it. 1989 was a big year that the GL-10 wagons got those.

The FT4WD S/R trans in my GL-10 right now came out of an 87 XT. 3.70 final. The XT6s are 3.90.

Marnix:

6) Engine designations:

EJ20D: closed deck and open deck non-turbo DOHC engines

EJ20E: open deck SOHC engines

EJ20G: closed deck and open deck single turbo DOHC engines MY90-MY96

EJ20H: open deck twin turbo DOHC engines MY93-98

EJ20K: open deck single turbo DOHC engines MY97-98

EJ20R: open deck twin turbo DOHC engines MY96-98

EJ205: open deck single turbo DOHC engines MY99 on

EJ207: semi-closed deck single DOHC turbo engines MY01 on

EJ209: open deck twin turbo engine MY99-03

EJ22E: open deck SOHC engine

EJ22G: closed deck engine (22B: DOHC, Legacy Turbo: SOHC)

EJ25D: open deck DOHC engine MY96-98

EJ251: open deck SOHC engine MY99 on

EJ257: semi-closed deck DOHC single turbo engie MY03 on

Then there still is a bunch of EJ15, EJ16, EJ18 and even more EJ20 engines, but I can't be bothered to list them as they are not interesting when it comes to high performance engine swaps.