Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2000 OB Timing belt any suggestions?

I bought a used Outback Limited and it is getting just over 100k on it. Have had no problems to date except for brakes, tires and a couple recalls. It is getting close to time to change the timing belt. Reading the posts in here it doesn't look too difficult but would like to get some good instructions on the procedure. Any help would be appreciated in finding an on line source. Also, is the 98 and the 2000 timing belt set configurations the same? My local auto parts store only carries a Haynes manual up to 98. Thanks in advance for the advice. :D

Your OB has the sohc Phase II 2.5L engine, hence replacing the timing belt is easier than on the dohc Phase I engine found on OB from 1996-99. You can do a search for threads concerning timing belt changes and specify "new generation of Subarus." Subaru put Phase II engines into MY '99 and beyond Foresters and, I believe, MY 2000 and beyond Legacies. I started a thread on the same topic so can do a search with my username.

In addition, you can find manual on CD format on ebay for $15-20. It's much less expensive than going through Subaru. If you would like, I can e-mail you the file for timing belt replacement.

For parts, you should check out www.1stsubaruparts.com. They have the best prices for OEM parts.

Good Luck