Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New to the Board from Montana...:D

Hey everyone, I'm new to the board...obviously :P. Live in Montana and got myself a GL-10 Turbo about a year ago. I've been working on it since then trying to get it all fixed up. So far it's been good to me, all things considered.

Well, I was thinking that I should start asking my questions here instead of adding to the 300 or so posts here :P.

1. My mechanics (two, one of which is a sube only) have not been able to tell me what's up with this: When I let up on the gas while driving, the car jerks, and does this again when I engage the gas. Repairs to the exhaust did not have an effect on this, and a loose engine mount repair did not do anything either. Perhaps someone else here will have a clue?

2. What are some of the first things I should do to my sube to improve gas mileage and performance?

Here's what's been done to my '87 GL-10 Turbo Wagon so far:

• Installed cat, muffler and pipes (missing when bought :D)
  • Replaced power steering pump
  • Installed new rotors and all new break pads
  • Replaced a slew of coolant hoses :D
  • Replaced radiator
  • Replaced all struts
  • Replaced both front fenders, hood, and all doors
  • other miscellaneous fluids, filters, maintenance

I'm not really that knowledgeable about cars, so I'm just learning as I go. I'm thinking about putting in a better muffler for performance and gas mileage. But that jerking is been going on ever since I got the car and I've gotten used to it. It would be nice to get it worked out however.

Thanks for any help in advance!

P.S.: That would be great to know someone from the board who's in Billings, thanks for looking into that!

Well, I was thinking that I should start asking my questions here instead of adding to the 300 or so posts here :P.

As of this moment, there are 116,299 posts on the USMB.. Loads of good stuff

1. My mechanics (two, one of which is a sube only) have not been able to tell me what's up with this: When I let up on the gas while driving, the car jerks, and does this again when I engage the gas. Repairs to the exhaust did not have an effect on this, and a loose engine mount repair did not do anything either. Perhaps someone else here will have a clue?

Stuff like that is terribly hard to diagnose over the internet. Not sure what that would be

2. What are some of the first things I should do to my sube to improve gas mileage and performance?

A free flowing exhaust will is the best way to improve mileage.. Currently I get 20-22mpg in my Turbowagon.. WJM on the other hand got his up in the high 20's by putting on a better exhaust system from the turbo back.

That would be great to know someone from the board who's in Billings, thanks for looking into that!

I checked the member list and didn'y find anyone in Billings.. that doesn't mean there isn't anyone there .. Just means that they haven't filled out their profile

I appreciate the replys. I guess I'll start doing my homework on exhaust systems. Do you guys think that adding that performance muffler will be a good idea then?

As of now, I get about 18 mpg in town when driving sporadically (as in drive for 15 minutes, then stay somewhere for an hour and repeat once or twice). When driving regularly (as in a good several hours worth of driving when i.e. running errands), I get more in the 20-23 mpg range.

Thanks for checking out if there was anyone in Billings. I'll do a search too and see what I can come up with.

As for the hesitation/jerk, try a new cap, rotor and wires...? My car does this from time to time and a basic tune-up seems to cure it every time!

twonremtz Is in Billings and there is someone else who moved there but I can't find him at the moment?

Good Luck

Glenn

82 SubaruHummer

01 Forester

Hey thanks a lot for checking that out. I'll try to get a hold of him. And as far as the wires go...you're referring to the sparkplug wires?

added: No go on that member. He's got 0 posts, and no way to get a hold of. His website's gone too. Oh well.

Yup! The Distributor Cap and Rotor and the Spark Plug wires seem to be the magic solution to making the old subies run better.

Your distributor is in the front of the engine in the center. Find you plugs on the bottom outsides and trace them into the top front center of the motor area under the front of the air cleaner.

Good luck'

Glenn

82 SubaruHummer

01 Forester

Yup! The Distributor Cap and Rotor and the Spark Plug wires seem to be the magic solution to making the old subies run better.

Your distributor is in the front of the engine in the center. Find you plugs on the bottom outsides and trace them into the top front center of the motor area under the front of the air cleaner.

Good luck'

Glenn

82 SubaruHummer

01 Forester

:lol: you guys and your old soobs.

Mentis. the distributor on your car is on the driver side rear of the motor.. EA82T :)

Hey guys, I just had a silly n00b question. (I realize it really must seem silly to all of you) But I can't figure out what the EA81 and EA82, etc. stands for. I realize it has to do with the engine ID? But what exactly does it all mean?!

...wah...me..to.much.n00b...

EA81 1800cc OHV= Old

EA82 1800cc OHC= Not quite as old

Okay, so I am guessing that OHV = overhead valve? ...and OHC = overhead, what, camshaft? I'm just guessing here so it might be completely wrong ha ha!

So my other question then is, how do I identify which one I've got? ...yes yes, I know I'm a novice :P.

Hello Mentis - Have 87 GL-10 Turbo Wagon, whose current motor is an amalgam of three motors and miscellaneous other pieces after original motor died.

Learning a lot, and, she is my daily driver!

The USMB is a good place for me to rummage around and pick up ideas to improve "Maple" and the rest of my Sube family.

Thanks for asking the "dumb" questions - I've been meaning to myself.

We pass through Billings to/from Sioux Falls, SD. Cheers, and, oh, btw, like your website - kewl manga - bit out of my medium, so I'll just point and "oh-ah"

Albany users unite! lol I'm in Albany too, I have an 87 GL Turbo wagon, white, XT6 5 lug conversion, Legacy LSi alloys, lowered, prolly seen it around. It's sitting in the driveway waiting for the garage door to get fixed so I can pull the motor and get the new heads put on and blah blah blah. I currently roll a 92 Dodge Ram pickup, Turbo diesel, "work sucks I'm going wheelin" sticker.. If you ever need a hand or advice with any soob stuff, get ahold of me on here or call my cell 541 990 8697.

As for the problem with the jerking Subaru, did you check your transmission mounts? If one of those is broken or loose, it will cause the car to jerk around. They run about $40 each from the dealer (There are two.. IF you look underneath it looks like there are three, but the one in the middle is just a rubber bumper, it's not connected to teh transmisson) A guy on here (GEneral Disorder) used 3M Windo-Weld windsheild adhesive to make a set for his Brat, dunno how well it worked, but that it some vrey stiff adhesive!

Wow - kewl!

Thanks!

Small world, indeed!

Dennis of Dennis Automotive is one of my IT Clients, and he is guilty of infecting me with the Sube Bug.

BTW: First One/Sput2 came back OK, no meth cooking went on, just impounded for "transportation of an illegal substance." Lots of paper garbage, etc., will just take elbow grease and time to clean up from.

BTW2: A lesson learned is that identity thieves and drug traffickers "test drive" vehicles for temporary use, then dump them, with the Registered Owner ( RO ) left to pick up, recover, clean up, etc. If the car is involved with a fatality, a warrant is issued for the RO. Make sure ALL vehicle registration is removed, and only give out VIN. Transfer the Title yourself.

I'm really glad that the worst didn't happen - we were in South Dakota at the time Sput2 was stolen, and houswatcher got notice from police.

Cheers!

Carrick

ZeroDark:30

Okay, so I am guessing that OHV = overhead valve? ...and OHC = overhead, what, camshaft? I'm just guessing here so it might be completely wrong ha ha!

So my other question then is, how do I identify which one I've got? ...yes yes, I know I'm a novice :P.

Glad you liked my site :D. But I'd still like to figure out what those things above mean :).