Ultimate Subaru Message Board

alt problem fixed/dash light problem

With that many outages I would replace fusible links under the hood. Also pull the fuse panel inside and inspect fuses (down by your left knee!). The panel has a chart with all systems ran by corrisponding fuses and the fuse amp ratings.

umm when my alts died all the dash idiot lights came on ... replaced teh alts and they went out ...

thats why i use a gm alternator now

so it may not be anything to worry about

but checking things over is also not a bad idea

• 2 weeks later...

after poking around jim's wagon, used a test lead to check for voltage at the sheft lever ligh(auto) it showed i had voltage at both prongs, so a good bulb did no good either.

after referring to the haynes manual, it all comes from fuse 12(engine meter) and it was good.

being a digi-dash, the int display would disappear with teh headlights off. also if you dim the dimmer past fully on they would be off. well, before i got into tearing the whole works apart i replaced the inst dimmer switch and what do you know, it works! problem solved

what did we learn? voltage spiking will burn out the dimmer switch! jim will be pleased when he gets home, and his wife can see how fast she's gong at night!