Ultimate Subaru Message Board

We are about to buy a new Outback and the dealer doesn't know much about adding XM that will look close to factory installation. Have been using a Roady in other cars and love it, but don't want a lot of wires hanging out in the new one. Not particularly handy or eager to start messing with the dash or wiring - so need some ideas about where to go also. Thanks.

They have aftermarket headunits with the XM capability built in...that'd be the easyest and would look the neatest.
Is there an XM unit that can be wired into the factory unit, rather than replacing the factory unit?

I don't think that these OEM head units have an aux. input. If you are not looking to replace the head unit you can get a roady or similar unit with an FM modulator or tape adapter. The FM modulator would be the best for minimizing the wire mess. Neither of these, however, would have the sound quality of a unit wired in through an aux. jack or a dedicated satellite-ready head unit.

I bought a Kenwood head unit since my car came with the OEM tape deck upon purchase and I really needed a CD player. It is Sirius-ready and plays MP3's. The head unit was about $180 and with a promotion they had (and I believe still have) a satellite tuner came free with the purchase of the head unit and antenna. I figured why not? The antenna was $50 and I figured if I didn't like it all I had to lose was a month's service fee and I could sell the tuner and antenna on eBay to regain the $50, keeping the head unit. Essentially a risk-free trial. I think I've used the CD player a dozen times in the past 8 months since I got satellite. ;)

I don't know if there are any comparable deals with XM. I also have an external unit, similar to a roady, that I listen to at work. I have thought about using it in the car as well (since each tuner has a monthly fee) but I don't think I could stand the clutter. The integrated head unit makes controls easier, stands out less, and leaves me more room in my console. Just my $.02 ramble...

-Heikki

• 1 year later...

im "in the same boat" but im going to use the JL cleansweep option which i think works best for my needs. it is however a 300 dollar extra but also gives 2 other line ins in addtition to the xm. it may not be an option that suits your needs. just throwing it out there so you get other viewpoints. btw, ive had xm for 3 years so far and i think it is great.

• 2 years later...

What is a JL Cleansweep option? I was just thinking about this issue a couple of days ago. I have a 2005 outback and the radio and a/c controls all fit into and behind a single panel. Outfitting this thing with an aftermarket radio does not appear to be an option. There's no aux jack, and no tape deck. I would be interested in learning how a satellite radio adapter would work for this car.

im "in the same boat" but im going to use the JL cleansweep option which i think works best for my needs.

90 LegWagon is correct about the unfriendly face plate design for the hvac/radio in the 2005 OB. There is a link floating around on this site to a handyman fix but it entails some rewiring and soldering of the original unit and likely not for the squeamish. It recreates what my 2008 OB has standard (see below).

I believe SOA came out with a new design faceplate for the 2005 that might make swapping doable but I don't know the cost. Check with a Subie parts dealer for availability.

Our 2008 OB has an aux jack in the center console and an aux setting on the head unit as well as 12v outlet in center console so the likes of Mr. Shiny IPod stays out of sight.