Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Using spare tire 15" rims

Chime in people, I know this has been hashed over before but a search turned up nothing. Sooo.... I want to possibly use the 15" spare tire rims for my brat. Now I know that their only 4" wide which could bring on some issues. I don't abuse my ride as much as some of you do, but would like to use it for hunting and I have a pretty nice set of 15" tires and a ready supply of those spare tire rims, I also have the access to do the mounting of the tires on the small size rims. I remember some one saying that was a reason why some wont do it cause no one would mount them for them. I would like everyones thoughts on this, and isn't there a few that have done this? SPEAK UP PEOPLE.

Well, I've used spares, but only for very slow woods-driving (we use an 87' wagon for a wood-hauler...) and because we weren't planning on ever putting it back on the road. Highway speeds may be dangerous, though I couldn't say EXACTLY why. I'm sure someone here could though...

Good luck.

Chime in people, I know this has been hashed over before but a search turned up nothing. Sooo.... I want to possibly use the 15" spare tire rims for my brat. Now I know that their only 4" wide which could bring on some issues. I don't abuse my ride as much as some of you do, but would like to use it for hunting and I have a pretty nice set of 15" tires and a ready supply of those spare tire rims, I also have the access to do the mounting of the tires on the small size rims. I remember some one saying that was a reason why some wont do it cause no one would mount them for them. I would like everyones thoughts on this, and isn't there a few that have done this? SPEAK UP PEOPLE.

Theres a guy here in down named Denny that runs around in an 83 TurboWagon with these running some pretty big tires. He too mounted them himself.

Im almost sure you could find VW Baja Bug tires that are narrow enough to make this worth doing and still look kindof cool.

The tires I have are actually 195/60/15 which are about 1/2 inch shorter than the 185/80/13's I have now there just a really nice set of studded snows almost new in fact that I got for free, The spares I have and the mounting will cost nothing(free) also. I thought the tire quality would help me crawl up after some deer and elk a little better than what I'm runnin, i think eventually I'm doin the six lug swap. but for now?!?

I think the worst you could do off-road is bend the rims, most people say they are too weak. The tires that are on the spares arent rated for over 35mph or something, but the rim can probably handle it. It also could have something to do with the fact that the rim/tire does not come balanced? Actually I had a car on 4 donut spares over 60 for about 20min and nothing bad happened :) I wouldnt trust the setup for long term or highway use though.

Guest taprackready

It appears as though people responding are not unstanding his statement. He's using the spare wheels only, not the tires. I would think the wheel is fine for any tire you can mount on it. I haven't read the spare tire sticker warning label lately but I believe its referring to the spacesaving tire and not the steel wheel its mounted on.

Bill

I think the rims should be fine, its just the normal spares that have the speed rating. My post may not have been clear but I understood. But putting wider tires on a 4" rim might make them into donuts and that wouldnt be good for the tires.

And yes, 60mph/100kmh on the island, between Jordan River and Port Renfrew in a flat black '82 celica, with a sawzalled roof and white housepaint cobra stripes. This was the day the motor threw a rod as well. My friend took it off road and bent 2 rims on the rocks, so we grabbed a pile of donuts and had some fun sliding around and burning out with the reduced traction.

The steel they are stamped from is extremely thin compared to a truck rim - I think it would be foolish to use a spare rim when perfectly good rims can be had at the junk yard for nearly nothing. Lots of people have tried this, and there's a reason you don't see people using them. They bend easily - no good for off-roading. Get some chevy or yota 6 lug steels and drill them. I did mine with a hand drill.... really not hard at all. Usually rims are $10 or less at used tire places, or junk yards.

GD

I'd agree, get some cheap Toyota, Isuzu, Chevy... six lug and drill'em.

A 4" rim will not hold a decent tire. You'll peal the tire off a 4" rim. Using a drilled rim you can use any tire you want w/o worries.

My .02

Glenn

82 SubaruHummer

01 Forester