Ultimate Subaru Message Board

convert wagon to a brat but with 4 doors

icon3.gif I was thinking on how to have some fun, being that i have three wagons to use for parts here. and had an idea of taking one of them and cutting the top off right behind the rear seats, and making a wall with a slider window, and making a bed out of the back of the wagon.

Has this sort of thing been done before ?

of course i would have to work on the tail gate some to make it workable, but thats what welders and cutting torches are for.

yeah and i know the BAJA is a 4 door brat, but to make one out of an older wagon would be cool. And drop an ej2 into it.

Give me some ideas or some pics if you have some.

No! you cant do that! that was my idea! I am in the process of doing that to my ea81 soob right now. Well anyway. I was gonna do that and throw an exo-skeleton roll cage over the whole thing. I'll let you know in about 4 weeks how it turns out

icon3.gif I was thinking on how to have some fun, being that i have three wagons to use for parts here. and had an idea of taking one of them and cutting the top off right behind the rear seats, and making a wall with a slider window, and making a bed out of the back of the wagon.

Has this sort of thing been done before ?

of course i would have to work on the tail gate some to make it workable, but thats what welders and cutting torches are for.

yeah and i know the BAJA is a 4 door brat, but to make one out of an older wagon would be cool. And drop an ej2 into it.

Give me some ideas or some pics if you have some.

Take Pictures during the process!

Inquiring minds want to see!:cool:

UnHatched did that with his hatch.

So Would that be a Bratch?:confused:

yea and this one would be "bragon." heh heh heh i like.

i was thinking about that idea too but alas, i cant yet so, keep us posted!

tyler

Seen one, at Missoula Auto Salvage, 82 GL wagon, back cut off @ rear doors, plywood rear divider with 12'x18' cheep sliding window, there was a square stock tubing cage to support the r-struts, krylon blue, still had manure in the back, class-less act all the way...

Do it...

very good and mine wont have any manure in it at least from any animal, but it might be used for carring those blown up ford and chevy motors i have to swap all the time.

Yeah you can send me some pics on yours that you are doing, i am thinking about ways to make use of the wagon after i cut it off that way. but i am still in the brainstorm ideas, but i was thinking about cutting it off tonight just so that i can get some ideas on how i want to put this together.

after i get done swapping calebs motor tonight i will paint the hood scoop on his car to match the white of his car.

I bet you could cut it up then graft the rear hatch back into the cab at the rear doorline(with use of a sawzall and mig welder :brow: ) and then just use a mesh tailgate type thing. The problem is that the rear seats stick past the rear doorline a bit so the rear passengers heads might be on the glass unless you lean the seats for ward or give them headrests.

mine is cut back enough so the front seats can recline as i often get too tired to drive home after work in the morning and take a short cat nap

off the road

i took out the rear seats compleatly and the back doors will be welded shut to help reinforce the body

i did cut and reuse the window section of the original wagon tailgate makes for one huge back window

oh.. and this all being put back together with a stick welder and alot of patience

but i did pick up something that should make it alot easier i hope

As Caleb is my witness i made the first couple of cuts on the wagon tonight, made them somewhat a little higher than what i want, so i can go back and use a cut off wheel to cut it where i want.

I am going to keep the back doors and seats and drop my panel there, thinking about a window, not sure what i am going to do, i may take the time to build a frame that i can make a rear window that would be able to moved up and down like a powered back glass. so amny ideas just have to wait and see what happens.

But am going to work on getting the top cut off tonight and things arranged that way.

• 3 months later...

if you live where there is snow, and a large hill, you could use the chopped off roof as a very large and heavy sled. but I hear that this is quite dangerous from people that have tried it with car hoods, as there is no way to stop, and you build up tremendous momentum going down hill on a large smooth piece of heavy metal plus your body weight