Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Help With Rust

Hey everyone,

I just got my 89 subaru gl and it even has a super charger or sumthin like that in it. I have a problem with the rust though, Its mainly in the back wheel well and working its way to the outside of the car and I want to stop it now. I'v heard about cutting it out and getting someone to weld a new piece of metal on it or something. but any tips and help is much appreciated.

That's a turbo not a super charger :)

Ask your self why you are repairing the rust. Will all this work yield a result worth the time, money and effort?

Your options are to cut it out and weld in new metal then paint.

Cut and sand off what you can and putty it all back up, then sand and paint.

I just sanded off what I could and painted right over it. There really was no point for me to repair the rust. It will just come back.

I want to repair the rust I dont care how much money or time it takes. The car is in wicked shape inside everyting in power like the locks and sunroof and windows and I want to keep the outside in good condition to. so I know theres people out there who know lots about this and help in much appreciated