Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Clutch Replacement Engine Forward

Well - that's generally done with EA81's, but if you remove enough off the front (radiator, etc), you might be able to do it with an EA82. I'm not sure there is enough room tho. Also remember the EA82 is quite a good deal heavier than the EA81, so manhandling it around like that won't be easy. It's not easy with an EA81 really, but it will just get you by if you don't have a lift. At any rate, in order to get the engine to come forward you also have to drop the exhaust, and unbolt the engine mounts - then jack the engine up till the mounts clear the cross-member. Then you can slide it off the engine, and slowly lower it down till you can get the clutch out.

GD

it works fine, with the radiator out and a jack under the transmission and a jack under the oil pan. with a Y pipe I'm not sure if you'll have to remove it entirely or just unbolt it from the rear half of the exhaust (and the trans). Basically you remove the battery and radiator, unbolt the motor mounts from under the crossmember, I think you disconnect the air filter snorkus too, and the clutch cable. maybe a couple other things like the pitch stopper. disconnect the exhaust to whatever degree necessary; if you pull the whole Y pipe it's a good time to helicoil the heads for posterity's sake. unbolt the trans and motor. jack the motor up so the mounts' studs are out of the slots in the Xmember, and jack the trans up a little to match the angle. the engine and trans should pry apart fairly easily. bad clutch comes out, new clutch goes in torqued to spec, reverse.

maybe i should bring my digital camera, eh?