Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Svx Vlsd?

I'll ask you guys first, and if nobody knows, then I'll try the New Gen forum.

I just bought an SVX rear diff with only 95k miles on it (for a whole $20), and I'm trying to figure out if it is possible to swap the VLSD parts into a regular 3.9 rear diff like you can with the clutch-pack type LSD. Does anyone happen to know??

For those who are wondering, the SVX rear diff seems to be a 3.545 ratio R160 diff, but like a later Legacy diff, it doesn't have stub-axles like our R160s do. So since it has a totally useless ratio for me, and my axles won't connect to it, I figure the only way it'll be any good to me is if I can gut it and put the VLSD parts into one of my open 3.9 diffs. Again, does anyone know if this has been or can be done?

you can buy new stub axles for the early Turbo Legacy VLSD (go in with a C-Clip), but when you see the dealer, with the seals and packing parts, it will be around $350.00 or subaruparts.com had 'em for about $250

But I cannot say for sure if they will work.

the internal VLSD parts is what needs the stub axles.... might be interesting to see if the internals could be modified carefully to allow a bolt in stub.....

Is there any particular model that always came with the VLSD in these early Legacy / SVX / Impreza platforms?

I see a lot of Legacys come through local yards now. So far no rear VLSD but I havent been checking them ALL either.

Sorry if this hijacks the thread but it's kinda relavent. What is the difference in those first gens that had "4WD" badges and the ones that had "AWD" badges? Aren't they all AWD ?

Thx !_!

MorganM, besides the Turbo Legacy (91 only) and the SVX, name one other Subaru that came with a VLSD in the USA. All the Imprezas have LSDs, not VLSDs. Imprezas and other EJ series cars do have viscous couplers in the center diff, but not the rear or front diff. Please let me know so that I can start looking for them.

• 4 years later...
So, if I'm understanding correctly, the VLSD parts WILL fit in a standard R160 case?? I'd just need to find stub axles for it or make the bolt-in ones work? Got any part #s for those stub axles?

VLSD will fit but you have to do some grinding on the sides of the case to make it fit. The stub axles will not work as far as I know there isnt threads for the bolts. I'm running the c-clip stubs on mine with 5 inches of lift in the rear (angle wont snap axles but it pulls kinda hard on them) and I've never had a problem with them popping out.

So, if I'm understanding correctly, the VLSD parts WILL fit in a standard R160 case?? I'd just need to find stub axles for it or make the bolt-in ones work? Got any part #s for those stub axles?

I believ you will need a set of SVX axles. Fit the SVX inner cup, cage onto the GL/XT shaft and race.

I was looking into this recently and had this method confirmed by folks who've done it.

search and I had a recent thread about this

I might have the part numbers at home, I'll have to get back with you. If you contact a dealer, just ask for the stub axles for the rear diff of a 91 Legacy Turbo.

SVX diffs are different, different, different.

It will work, buit you need the inner joints of the SVX axles, which insert into the diff.