Ultimate Subaru Message Board

turbo/distributor vacuum advance question

on my 86 turbo,which still had at that year both the mechanical and vac. pot advance...when checking vacuum on the pot with my hand held vacuum pump..the arm will pull in slightly but will not hold under vacuum unless I keep pumping ...is this a design feature for the turbo's or is the vac pot useless.

the diaphram inside that vac thingy is torn, it should hold when you apply vac, and not leak down, for a good while, if at all. any carburetor ea82 distributor will bolt right in. you could look for a 2X disty, as they are supposed to have a slightly more steep advance curve.

on my 86 turbo,which still had at that year both the mechanical and vac. pot advance...when checking vacuum on the pot with my hand held vacuum pump..the arm will pull in slightly but will not hold under vacuum unless I keep pumping ...is this a design feature for the turbo's or is the vac pot useless.

Sounds like it's toast. As Edrach pointed out about 19 of 20 junkyard vac advance units are. If you look in your FSM (you do have one right?) you'll find the advance curves for the turbo distributor. The Vacuum creates the most advance and thus is very crucial to proper engine operation and power. The most reasonable and dependable option is to have the unit rebuilt by a place called Philbin Group in Portland, OR

http://www.philbingroup.com/rebuilt/special_services.htm

the above is a link to the services page, the prices are not current, I believe it is $40 for a single stage advance unit....

In the mean time, the car will probably run marginally with out it so you can remove the unit, send it in to get rebuilt and still drive. You might want to advance your timing a bit to compensate for the fact that the vacuum unit isn't there....

good luck

garner

any distributor from a carb EA82 motor???....thats what I thought until I pulled the dizzy out and found that the turbo model has 4 wires coming out of the ignitor instead of the 2 wires like the carbed dizzy....2 wires to the coil and the other 2 wires heading toward the opposite direction

• 1 month later...

I have a similar question for an EA81 disty.

I replaced the vac advance w/a working diaphram. I took a spare line and I sucked it and the vac advance mech doesn't move freely. Is it suppose to be tight. The vac advance mechanism on the disty I took the vac advance unit off at the JY moved very easily.

Is there a way to loosen the vac advance unit if it's too tight?

BW