Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Whats going on?

Bad news. Does the transmission come out by it's self or do you have to take the transaxle too?

Crupper

sounds like clutch chatter. its not good, look for a swap or a rebuild.

I could be wrong, but Ive been fearing that sound myself for many years.

Alex

Bad news. Does the transmission come out by it's self or do you have to take the transaxle too?

Crupper

Not sure exactly what you mean by that, but pullung a soob tranny is like pulling a RWD tranny with the exception of having to disconnect the front axles

If you are doing the clutch, IMO, its easier to pull the motor than the tranny

[quote name=

Sounds like its time to look for a good used one.

Gary[/quote]

Where would be a good place to start looking for a good Auto trannie?

"1990 Loyale AWD 5 dr wagon w/EA82 MPI Turbo", and what years will fit?

Crupper

So it doesn't vibrate while in park or at highway speed? Are you sure it's the trans and not the driveshaft out of balance or even a wheel out of balance? Harmonic balancer (Is it the engine?) Maybe a bad axle? (I had one that shook the front end until I built up speed)

I'm guessing your transmission is the 4 speed auto with full time 4wd? Or is there a pushbutton for 4wd?

It is a 3 speed auto and a fuse for AWD, It has a push button to hold 1st gear. Been thinking that it does it more in AWD than 2WD. The drive line checks out OK, and the tires are all the same size, thinking it might be in the tranfer case doing something when it is in AWD. I'm replacing both front axles today, as the boots were shot for some time. I'm running out of options, checking the internet I can't find any rebuilt trannies for this model and so far no good ones from a wrecking yard. Everyone I talk to says "You don't have problems with this tranmission, there bullet proof" so I'm looking elsewhere. Open for any ideas from any one.

Crupper