Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I was thinking about getting a new horn...possibly off an old car, or even just a new loud one. My question is, will a horn just connect to the old wiring for my old horn and work? Do I need to run some new wires?

Thanks.

it will work if you hook it up to the old horn wires. you will blow fuses though. you need to hook it up to the battery, then a wire fuse (i'm using a 15a with my airhorns), then through the little relay that the aftermarket horns should come with then to the horn/airpump.

there should be a schimatic with the horn package if you go with Flamm

i hooked up my first set of airhorns to the stock horn directly and i kept blowing the brake light fuse, which in turn does not allow you to shift out of park...

also, if you go with airhorns you'll need to buy more hose. mount the horns inside the front bumper and the air pump in the little cubby behind the left front suspention tower.

if you mount the pump in the bumper, it will get wet and turn into a solid chunk of rust, and then you have NO horns.....which i'm still debating what's worse...a subaru horn, or no horn.

being that i have a 96 legacy as well, if you have any problems, PM or email me. (losdiosdeverde86@yahoo.com)

If you make your own set up it would be a good idea to put in a relay. There are many types, I often used older Ford and GM relays becuase I had them around and they are easy to wire. A relay takes a hot wire from a source like the fusebox, and allows it to be controlled by the smaller amperage of the stock horn circuit like a switch.

Make sure you run your heavy power wire from a fuse or circuit breaker. I like to add my own circuit breaker and run it from a source like the power to the fuse box.

The relay will require three wires usually. The forementioned power, a jumper from the current horn, and a good ground.

I have usually just wired in another horn from a junker or something off the shelf. I kind of like the two different tones of two horns. On my Jeep I used the old horn and one from an XK140 Jag I had sitting around.

I am using FIAMM AM100*, which is plenty loud - 134db. Stock power, and there's space behind the bumper, but in front of the radiator, for both of them to be mounted. I did have to lengthen the wires on both my present car, and my old Legacy, but no relays needed.

Air-Horn compressor would require a relay, but it's not much louder than AM100, and takes too long to react.

*AKA "Highway Blaster"

I am using FIAMM AM100*, which is plenty loud - 134db. Stock power, and there's space behind the bumper, but in front of the radiator, for both of them to be mounted. I did have to lengthen the wires on both my present car, and my old Legacy, but no relays needed.

Air-Horn compressor would require a relay, but it's not much louder than AM100, and takes too long to react.

*AKA "Highway Blaster"

sure, i can't go "beep beep" real quick to say thanks to someone because, for one, it would scare the piss out of them, and for two, yes it is a little slow to get up to speed (the compressor) but when it comes to getting someone out of my way, it's pleanty loud and fast

Alright, thanks. I just wanted something a bit louder and aggressive. I'll look into the aftermarket horns. I don't think I want to go with an air horn or anything.

Hella makes a GREAT horn and it comes with wiring diagram/relay. It's been posted here several times. That's how I found out. Go to Susquehanna (sp?) Motorsports. It's about $65.