Ultimate Subaru Message Board

JDM turbo conversion

I searched, but can't seem to find any info. I see advertised JDM EJ20 turbo engines, I think they say they will replace Legacy EJ22 turbo engines. The interesting thing is that the EJ20 turbos are quite a bit cheaper than the EJ22 NA engines. My question: if I had the wiring harness and computer from a 91-94 Legacy turbo, would this JDM EJ20 turbo run with it? I have a 88 GL wagon with an EA82 NA which is on its last legs. I WON'T replace it with another EA82 NA, it is so underpowered it is dangerous :mad: , and I want to put taller tires on it as well. I can get a EA82 NA or an EA82 turbo for $550. To use the turbo I would have to get the wiring harness and computer from a turbo EA82 car (I have already found 3 in a JY) But if I could do the same amount of work as far as wiring harness replacement but get the EJ20 turbo's extra horsepower and torque :brow: , it would be worth the extra $100 (they are going for $650) plus the time it would take me to adapt it to the EA82 tranny. Thanks for any input.

There are several things to consider here. Are you planning to use the EA82 tranny? If so, you will need an adapter for the EJ series engine. One of the board members, Mudrat, has created such an adapter and will soon be making them available for sale. If you plan to use the EJ series tranny, which one will you use? There are two basic types, a cable pull clutch and a hydraulic clutch. The EJ20G (turbo version) usually comes with a hydraulic type, in an EA series car, this requires adapting a different clutch pedal assembly. If you get one out of a N/A EJ series car, it will probably be a cable pull type, with this you can use an EA82 type clutch pedal assembly. For either EJ series tranny you will need to modify the rear section of the tranny mount to get it to fit properly and you'll have to have the drive line shortened 55mm. Now to answer your wiring question, yes you should be able to get the engine to run with an EJ22G (turbo version) wiring harness. I have installed a JDM EJ20G into an EA82 (a RX) before, you will need the EA82T crossmember so that the uppipe will clear the crossmember. Since you are close by, I'd be glad to provide any support if you plan to go ahead with the JDM conversion.

I plan to use the EA 5 speed Dual Range tranny. I want to keep it D/R, since I plan to use this for my camping car and need to do some light off-roading. I have studied the work that guy in australia did to adapt his EJ engine to an EA tranny, it looks straightforward enough. And I figure if I can find a Legacy donor car, it can donate its crossmember, too. I suppose if worse comes to worse, I could replace the JDM intake and fuel injection system with the setup off the Legacy turbo and make it work, but at a higher cost :mad: . When it is done it will look like this: :brow:

soob7.jpg

I figure if I can find a Legacy donor car, it can donate its crossmember, too.
Nope, the Legacy is a little wider, you'll need an EA82T crossmember. You won't need to change any intake stuff, I found that most of the JDM stuff has the same part numbers and the USA Legacy Turbo stuff, the body harness may even plug into the engine harness if they didn't cut it all to heck like they usually do.