Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Crankshaft Timing Gear Removal to fix oil leak

Hey all Thanks for all the info on a 2.2L timing belt replacement. I had 70K miles and replaced the t belt with no problems, (FYI used the old V belt to hold the pulley, I anchored it over the alternator bracket and pinched it with some channel locks and it worked like a charm). The old belt was toast anyway and a new one is 10bucks

ANYWAY. I too have the infamous oil leak- and it looked like the front seal was the culprit when i was in there. I had the old belt off but i couldnt get the timing belt crankshaft gear off. I used heat and a bit of prying but i didnt want to damage the old seal, soft al or mess up the gear if i couldnt get it off.

Does subaru make a special crank gear puller? A normal gear puller wont fit behind it.

HOW DO I GET THE CRANK TIMING GEAROFF without screwing it up in the process. I checked and the oil leak and its getting worse every day so i need some help soon so i can get the seal replaced before it ruins my new belt.

THANKS

Go to your local auto parts store and pick up a steering wheel puller. It will thread into the crank sprocket and then you will tighten the bolt against the crankshaft to pull the sprocket away from it.

You will have to remove the radiator to use it though, and when you reinstall it, you can put a tiny bit of oil on the inside of the sprocket to help.

I would have used a puller if the holes in the gear had threads. Did i miss them. PS the 1999 2.2l i have is different and its not the same as all of the t belt replacement tech resources descriptions onlien. For example I have a one bolt tensioner and distributorless ignition (gear marks on back of gear) thats why i cant use a normal puller behind the gear. Ill check again in case i missed it but i dont think i have threads in the gear, did you use a puller on what year?

Go to your local auto parts store and pick up a steering wheel puller. It will thread into the crank sprocket and then you will tighten the bolt against the crankshaft to pull the sprocket away from it.

You will have to remove the radiator to use it though, and when you reinstall it, you can put a tiny bit of oil on the inside of the sprocket to help.

This is great advice....2 timing belts ago I was in to big of a hurry and I rounded off the bolt some.....I literally ended up grinding off the head of the old bolt and buying a replacement....pays to have the right tools....since them mine has come off with just a socket driver (a long one) but if it's stuck the wheel puller works well

I just did the oil pump deal on my 90 legacy and I had the same problem with the crank gear. There are 2 threads in my gear so I found a piece of flat 1/4in steel, 2 bolts (same size) and a bunch of washers and used them to get the gear off. I took the steel and drilled it for the bolts so they lined up with the gear holes. I then took the bolts with washers and screwed them into the threads in the gear. I would tighten easch side slowly untill it would back off a little. Then I would add more washers and repeat the same process. Once I got the gear to the edge of the crankshaft, I stuck a scoket in the hole and removed alot of the washers and just kept on working it out slowly. It took some patience but I got it off and I did not have to remove the radiator. When I got the oil pump back on I lubed the shaft and tapped it back on with the side of my hammer. Like a glove!!!

Hope this helps. If you are like me you have enough stuff kicking around in your garage to make this work. If not get the puller or make a trip to the home depot.

Transformers transform and roll out....

Thanks all for the help,

I must have missed the threads and checked the wrong holes when i was in there last. The gear has 4 round holes and 4 oblong holes and I swear they dont have threads. I stuck a pick down the holes and didnt feel any threads, thats why i asked this question. But Im not going chance blowing the 60bucks i spent on a new tbelt. Im gonna open it up agian and check it out this holiday weekend and make a homemade puller if all goes well and i missed the threads. Ill post an update when i find out thanks again.

I did tap the gear using a m7 (so i didnt have to drill). luckily i had two m7 bolts just the right size from my honda motorcycle that worked great and i got it off.

YEAH everyone is right - IT was one of those black oil seals and it had no spring on the back. I replaced it no problem - used a pvc pipe fitting to seat it.

YEAH NO MORE OIL LEAK:banana: !!!!!!!!!

I did tap the gear using a m7 (so i didnt have to drill). luckily i had two m7 bolts just the right size from my honda motorcycle that worked great and i got it off.

YEAH everyone is right - IT was one of those black oil seals and it had no spring on the back. I replaced it no problem - used a pvc pipe fitting to seat it.

YEAH NO MORE OIL LEAK:banana: !!!!!!!!!

mine was being a right bastard too, but i sprayed it from all angles with inox (a water dispersant ) and after letting it sit for ages, it slid right off,

Usually the only reason they won't come off is because of slight corrosion from not moving for years.

The EA82's have two gears, one for each belt, and on my XT, the outer one was very difficult, but the inner one was ready to come off. I'm such a big strong guy :rolleyes: that I pulled the outer one off with a rag... I put the slightest bit of oil inside it during reinstallation and it slid right on...