Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA71 Vs EA81 Vs EA82

DDMan

The EA71 is an over head valve 1.6 litre.The Ea81 is an over head valve 1.8 litre.The EA82 is a over head cam 1.8 litre.

I like EA81's.They are very reliable and have no timing belts to worry about.

I am currently driving an EA82 and have had no problems at all with it.It has been a very reliable vehicle.

he's a Cali man so I rather doubt there would be any rust on it and usualy the ea-71 and ea-81 powered cars are alot more rugged and the motors are bulletproof but as Dave has said you have to be up on the maint for coolant system i.e. flush every 2 years or use prestone extended life coolant that is usualy orange in color and also use Redlines water wetter too and oh yeah one good idea is also since your in Cali if you can get one get a 2 row rad too considering the temps you guys get down there in the summer but a new stock rad would be the minimum

edit: just realized why Roseville sounded familiar been through it a few times on my way to Reno from Yuba City with my parents when I was younger and maybe just a stock replacement is all you need just keep up on the coolant

So practically the EA71 and EA81 are the same engine just one has a larger displacement? Then the EA82 probably creates a little more HP, but has a timing belt to worry about?

I am pretty much looking for a "bulletproof" car since i dont want to worry about the engine or trans just going out a week after I get it.

well for praticality sakes go with a ea-81 powered car cause the parts are readily accessable for parts but the ea-71 powered gen 2's are also good....

but if you want a lil bit more room for the noggin then a Gen 1 stage 2 wagon or brat would be good also cause the parts are also sorta easy to find pending where you are at..... and as Myxalplyx said DO STAY AWAY FROM THE AUTOS!!!!!

Well, it sounds like a plan then....my perfect setup is an EA81 Wagon with the D/R 4WD, so thats what im on the prowl for. A EA81 hatch/sedan with 4wd would be ok too, but I just wanted to make sure I knew what I was looking for before I start going out to buy something.

Thanks guys!

Just wondering what the differences are between the three, and what the biggest causes of problems are between them. Im looking for an older subie, and want to get the most reliable one with as few major problems as possible.
buy mine :) anyhow I have been driving my ea71 gen 2 wagon and it is like driving a sewing machine just keeps on trucking along. let me know if you want info on it.