Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1996 Legacy Wagon (what should i do to supe up?)

Well, that depends on how much money you want to spend.

If you've got a lot of time to tinker, you could swap in an EJ22T w/5speed transmision from a wrecked Legacy Turbo. That would give it some pickup, with the advantage of keeping the reliability of a stock engine.

If you're looking for smaller mods, there is a wide variety of options out there for you. For aftermarket parts, check out: http://cobbtuning.com/legacy/. They make a bunch of stuff for the new-gen subarus. The first thing you should do is a full tune up, which for a DIYer on that car is basically changing the plugs and wires. After that, you should work on making the engine breathe more efficiently, which is where the most bang for your buck will come from. For instance, replacing your muffler with a $15 three-chamber one will net some gains in conjunction with either an aftermarket intake or removing the air intake snorkel. Remember, if you flow more air in, it won't do much good unless you flow more air out, and vice-versa. Another thing that I hear a lot about is power pulleys that reduce the load that the accessories put on the engine, which can free up around 5 horsepower.

That's about all I've got to say since I have no personal experience with the Legacy and modifying it. Oh yeah, and some stickers will add 50 horsepower at the flywheel in neutral:lol: .

yes but i wish to have an one of a kind car and today i went to hot import days here in cali and there was only 3 subarus there and they where all wrx sti's. I knew what i wanted to do to pump it up but i wanted to know if anyone had any ideas, iam going to get a turbo system, intake, exaust, msd ignition system, computer mods.... and a few other parts. I know it sounds costly but my next car is going to be a subaru as well so i can just swap the parts over.......i mean come on you guys anyone ever see a 96 legacy wagon tricked out and if so send me a pic.

yes but i wish to have an one of a kind car and today i went to hot import days here in cali and there was only 3 subarus there and they where all wrx sti's. I knew what i wanted to do to pump it up but i wanted to know if anyone had any ideas, iam going to get a turbo system, intake, exaust, msd ignition system, computer mods.... and a few other parts. I know it sounds costly but my next car is going to be a subaru as well so i can just swap the parts over.......i mean come on you guys anyone ever see a 96 legacy wagon tricked out and if so send me a pic.

I would definitely start by replacing the engine with a turbo legacy engine instead of a stand alone turbo kit. Why, because those engines are bullet proof, they're pretty cheap, and well save you a lot of hassle in the end. I'm planning on putting in a 92 turbo motor in my 94 legacy. Here I'll just make a list of some mods to consider and that I'm hopefully going to do.

Suspension: KYB AGX Struts with Eibach, Prodrive, or H & R Springs

Big Brake Kit: Outback H6 front rotors and calipers, Turbo Legacy rear vented rotors and calipers

Exhaust: Prodrive Oval Tip Muffler with turbo xs downpipe

Engine: 92 legacy turbo motor with vf34 turbo

Tranny: STi short throw shifter kit with PDM shifter

Exterior: Turbo legacy hood with STi hood scoop and 1st gen rs vents

Front End Conversion: 1st gen rs front bumper

Paint Job: wrx silver (or wrx white with a pearl blue "shade") with a rally subaru S graphic in ghost color or black.

I think that is all for now, lol... This is how my car looks right now, not much, but hey, you got to start somewhere...

Also a good Legacy site to check out is bbs.legacycentral.org

post-6763-136027596088_thumb.jpg

post-6763-136027596094_thumb.jpg

you can get a 2.0L twin turbo legacy engine from japan with around 30k on it for about a grand. look on ebay, they're always there.

you can get a 2.0L twin turbo legacy engine from japan with around 30k on it for about a grand. look on ebay, they're always there.

Ya, except you will have one minor problem with the install... It won't fit unless you have a right hand drive car... I was going to do this install, but researched it and found this minor detail out. Plus, you would be better off sticking with a single turbo setup. The twin-turbo setup has what they call a "dead valley" or where there is a huge turbo lag gap. Now if you can find a SOHC turbo legacy motor instead of the US DOHC motor then that would be your best option. Stock boost starts at 13 psi with no intercooler.