Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How to tell if used CV is good?

When i bought my brumby they chucked in all the spare parts they had as they no longer would have any use for them. I got an engine n stuff but more importingly i got 2 complete axles, the car that was parted was an ea81 wagon found in padock not running and aqquired for free but its a pitty they wound back the odometer in the dash cluster that came wif the parts so i have no idea how km's (miles) its done:banghead: . Now my driverside cv has been making bad clunking noises on right turns when a bit of power is apllied, worse as you get closer to lock. I assume this is my cv from decriptions in previous posts. I took the the rubber boots off one of my spare axles and cleaned the excess grease away. The bearings aint pitted and the joint looks pretty nice but as this is my first look at a cv and i have nothing to compare it to.

1. How do tell if a cv is still good?

2. As these might be rear axles, are they different from the front?

3. Is there any way by looking at an axle to tell if its a genuine soob cv?

I usually assume the axles are ok unless the boot is ripped. I wouldn't hesistate to chance a used one that passes the "look" test. The one you dissasembled sounds just fine from what you described.

As far as interchangebility, the axles are somewhat universal, in that the same part is used in several makes. If the dimensions are the same as the one you remove from the car, you should be good to go.

good luck, John