Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Officially overwhelmed!

Its official....I am truely over whelmed with everything that needs done to my Loyale now. And I dont know what to do.

Here is the list of must needed maintenance:

Exhaust from resinator back.

rear wheel cylinders and shoes

clutch

timing belts...way over due,have almost 100,000 miles on them.

water pump..the mystery leak solved

EGR sylinoid

tires

gaskets..u name them they need replaced

But my other question ties into another thread about the ticking ...if I run the ATF fluid..will it make my oil leaks worse??I know my motor is really gunked up right now.

Cant afford to replace my Loyale and cant afford it fix it right...so any ideas on some cheaper parts or anything is much appreciated

Drive it till she blows up and save money in the mean time to buy another car :)

Exhuast: who cares? Do you have to pass any inspections? If not then drive on!

Rear Brakes: Just get shoes replaced.

Clutch: How bad is it slipping? Drive it till she wont enguage any more!

Timing Belts: Forget about them untill the BREAK! This is a NON-interfearence engine so breaking a timing belt will NOT hurt your engine.

Water Pump: Is it leaking from the 'weep hole' or from the gasket? Weep hole you can ignore it untill you can get a new pump (do NOT forget to keep adding coolant!) Gasket? Get a new gasket and just replace that.

What other gaskets? Talking about oil seals on crank and cams? Oil pan? Cam case gaskets? Little oil leakage never hurt nobody :lol: Again KEEP IT FULL of oil!

That's about as cheap as youre gonna get.

ps: please dont put ATF in your crank case... Your loyale is already cranky enough!

Drive it till she blows up and save money in the mean time to buy another car :)

Exhuast: who cares? Do you have to pass any inspections? If not then drive on!

Rear Brakes: Just get shoes replaced.

Clutch: How bad is it slipping? Drive it till she wont enguage any more!

Timing Belts: Forget about them untill the BREAK! This is a NON-interfearence engine so breaking a timing belt will NOT hurt your engine.

Water Pump: Is it leaking from the 'weep hole' or from the gasket? Weep hole you can ignore it untill you can get a new pump (do NOT forget to keep adding coolant!) Gasket? Get a new gasket and just replace that.

What other gaskets? Talking about oil seals on crank and cams? Oil pan? Cam case gaskets? Little oil leakage never hurt nobody :lol: Again KEEP IT FULL of oil!

That's about as cheap as youre gonna get.

ps: please dont put ATF in your crank case... Your loyale is already cranky enough!

umm..my rear wheel cylinders leak...bad..I have to refill everyother day. And exhaust...well I just moved here to CT from PA and my reg is out so it will need inspected and CT is tough on old cars ..since they dont want them on the road here.

I also dont want to get stuck somewhere if the timing belts break...I mean my Loyale is 95% rust free and I want to keep it around.Plus it is my only car and I need it..its my baby. I live by myself and dont have a boyfriend or anyone here.

And yes I know my Loyale is cranky enough..it takes after me..I am actually starting to think it has the same suicidal tendencies that I do.

Hey Connie

I know about being overwhelmed, I’m buried right now myself, sometimes it feels like the world is closing in (and I found out today that my stupid Suburban needs tranny work ).

Anyway, save a few pennies and address the troubles one at a time.

Safety first, deal with the brakes, a good set of used shoes and cylinders could get you by.

Exhaust and EGR solenoid may give you trouble at inspection time, if its coming up soon, put them on the “sooner rather than later” list, look for good used parts, exhaust may just be gaskets.

With winter coming tires could be a safety concern, buy a used set, my local tire store has sold me decent used one for $35 each mounted and balanced.

T-belts, water pump and front seals would be best done together, parts aren't too much, but labor could be a killer… time to get your hands dirty.

Baby the clutch, no burnouts, it should go awhile.

See if you can get someone local to give you a hand with the labor, barter if you can (and don’t be afraid to use a bit of girlish charm :brow: ).

I wouldn’t try the ATF in the crankcase, I know its worked for some but seems a bit risky to me, doess it tick all the time or just on warm up? What weight are you running? When was it last changed?

Just take it one day and fix at a time, there isn’t really any other way.

Gary

Hey Connie

I know about being overwhelmed, I’m buried right now myself, sometimes it feels like the world is closing in (and I found out today that my stupid Suburban needs tranny work ).

Anyway, save a few pennies and address the troubles one at a time.

Baby the clutch, no burnouts, it should go awhile.

See if you can get someone local to give you a hand with the labor, barter if you can (and don’t be afraid to use a bit of girlish charm :brow: ).

I wouldn’t try the ATF in the crankcase, I know its worked for some but seems a bit risky to me, doess it tick all the time or just on warm up? What weight are you running? When was it last changed?

Just take it one day and fix at a time, there isn’t really any other way.

Gary

Thanks for the kind words..I feel your pain about your Suburban..

Awww..no more burn outs??.Dang..nothing cooler than a Loyale smoking the tires :cool: .

I just changed my oil not even a month ago when I did the distributer wires plugs and stuff and it ticks just on warm up. And it needs inspected ASAP and I just heard on the news that they are going to reinstate the emissions tests...wonderful!.

I aint afraid to get my hands dirty...no one will do it for me so I have always had to do it myself.

Why dont you trade her, and a little cash? You could fix hers and turn around and sell it, making your money back.

Hope you can get it fixed Connie, the brakes are real important and getting rebuilt cylinders might be an option. No sense in putting new brakes on when those leak. The timing belts are another must and are only about $50 total(depending on where purchased, might be cheaper). Water pump can be replaced the same time the belts are done.

The oil leaks can be fixed later on, unless its spewing out like the main vein has been cut.

The clutch can also wait, at least until it wont go any more. Maybe some adjustment will help?

The ticking is pretty normal when warming up. If you have the time and money you can replace the oil pump seals, this will quiet it down for a long time.

Good luck, and maybe someone from the board in your area can give you hand.

Connie,

I know your frustration, my Brat runs about 5-10 miles between breakdowns... try the vocational schools in your area... they will take cars in and do the repairs for parts costs only, no labor... and you can supply the rebuilt or used parts if you want... they may take a bit of time, but it's worth a shot and the savings is unbelievable... an appointment is usually customary so it fits the curriculum being taught at the time... tend to the easy, more immediate tasks on your own and let them take on the tougher jobs... so give a call to schedule it before it's a real emergency. Good luck!

Mary

P.S. They like to take cars that aren't the "run-of-the-mill Taurus".

Connie,

I know your frustration, my Brat runs about 5-10 miles between breakdowns... try the vocational schools in your area... they will take cars in and do the repairs for parts costs only, no labor... and you can supply the rebuilt or used parts if you want... they may take a bit of time, but it's worth a shot and the savings is unbelievable... an appointment is usually customary so it fits the curriculum being taught at the time... tend to the easy, more immediate tasks on your own and let them take on the tougher jobs... so give a call to schedule it before it's a real emergency. Good luck!

Mary

P.S. They like to take cars that aren't the "run-of-the-mill Taurus".

Hi Mary,

I about spit my coffee out my nose when I read your "run-of-the-mill Taurus"...I used to own one of those money pits. One of my friends kids is in VoTech and said the same thing...he is dying to work on my car.Problem is..what do I drive while Bucky is in the shop??I am already the local "taxi" for the ppl I work with that live close by..One person at work says that Subaru stands for U R A BUS..and it fits!!

If it wasnt starting to get cold I would try alittle bribery...I supply the parts and the beer and the food and have a Subaru fixin party.:drunk:. I am not afraid to work on it myself..just when I get into a job I have never done before I like to have someone around who knows what they are doing in case I get into a predictament.

Shame the cars in the marketplace are all either way to far away...like the $250 hatch....or way outta my price range

Here is a pic of my Bucky

Hi Mary,

I about spit my coffee out my nose when I read your "run-of-the-mill Taurus"...I used to own one of those money pits. One of my friends kids is in VoTech and said the same thing...he is dying to work on my car.Problem is..what do I drive while Bucky is in the shop??I am already the local "taxi" for the ppl I work with that live close by..One person at work says that Subaru stands for U R A BUS..and it fits!!

If it wasnt starting to get cold I would try alittle bribery...I supply the parts and the beer and the food and have a Subaru fixin party.:drunk:. I am not afraid to work on it myself..just when I get into a job I have never done before I like to have someone around who knows what they are doing in case I get into a predictament.

Shame the cars in the marketplace are all either way to far away...like the $250 hatch....or way outta my price range

Here is a pic of my Bucky

Bucky sure looks worth saving! Get a group effort started, ask the people you are kindly carting around to pitch in and then call Rent-A-Wreck (if you have one there)... and get a really cheap rental while yours is being fixed. Check with your insurance co. for an insurance rider rather than using the rental's insurance... it's much cheaper or it could even be part of your policy.

Also, maybe your kid's friend at VoTech knows some juniors or seniors that would be willing to help with the repairs, for pizza and a movie pass? Tim had a couple come help sand the 1950 Ford pickup he's restoring.

Hang in there!

Mary

You can call me a little later.I'll be heading out after 9:30 or so....just a few minutes.I'll be up at my place in Milford and you're welcome to stop by.Phone is on,easy to get to......otherwise I'll be around on Sunday.

I have a good amount of parts I'll either donate to you or offer at a very reasonable price.I'd love to be able to do some work for you but I'm really needing to concentrate my efforts on my 40+ of the day job and getting my home on the market......along the way I need desperately to clean out my workshop....you'll see. :-\

My workshop is occasionally known as the First Subaru Church of the Resurection....right now it's more like a pig pen,but it'll shake out nicely with one big day and a few helpers.I'm having an open house soon.Right now it's supposed to be next weekend so you might want to beat the rush for the freebies and deals to drool over.

You can call me a little later.I'll be heading out after 9:30 or so....just a few minutes.I'll be up at my place in Milford and you're welcome to stop by.Phone is on,easy to get to......otherwise I'll be around on Sunday.

I have a good amount of parts I'll either donate to you or offer at a very reasonable price.I'd love to be able to do some work for you but I'm really needing to concentrate my efforts on my 40+ of the day job and getting my home on the market......along the way I need desperately to clean out my workshop....you'll see. :-\

My workshop is occasionally known as the First Subaru Church of the Resurection....right now it's more like a pig pen,but it'll shake out nicely with one big day and a few helpers.I'm having an open house soon.Right now it's supposed to be next weekend so you might want to beat the rush for the freebies and deals to drool over.

I will try and call you in the morning ..I am alittle too:drunk: :drunk: :drunk: at this moment to even think straight and it 1 am.. I am always willing to help so if ya need me just let me know.I want to root through your goodies ..and will be there next weekend to lend a hand.

I understand your 40+ hour thing..got to do that myself or I wouldnt be able to eat.

Anyway...I will give you a call in the morning and either leave a message or whatever.

Thanks a Billion!!!!!

Way to go Paul!! I was going to suggest that Board members offer up some of their parts stash, and help this lady out. Sounds like Moosens has got things covered.

As someone said earlier, safety items should be addressed first. Fortunately, brakes aren't too hard on these cars, and wear parts are not overly expensive. You should be able to score some used tires mounted on subaru rims from junkyards (or Paul). Just keep a couple extras around, and make sure you have a good jack set in your Sube.

I would concentrate on getting things fixed that are already broke, rather than worrying about preventative maintenance. You can let the timing belts go for awhile, and if you get lucky, you might be able to replace them on your own terms.

I don't normally recommend "alley" fixes, but since you are so far behind, you might have to cut some corners. Exhaust is something that can be dealt with, with a little creativity, sheet metal and roofing cement!! You could probably flush that motor, then run some "stop leak" products thru it to slow down the leaks. Take a good look at your cooling system and make sure you are running cool. You may not get a second chance if you blow it on this system.

The clutch is one area that you might need help on. I would try to deal with this ASAP even if you have to hire someone.

But the good news is that Subes are ideal cars for those with limited resources, and there are lots of derelicts around that have the information, knowledge and used parts to help you out. Don't get discouraged

good luck, John

Thanks John,

I am heading over to Pauls in about an hour.

I am funny about preventative maint. stuff since I have been left stranded 2 times now ..not from my Subs though..Once was in VA with my Toyota truck..was stuck for 3 days till I could get someone to pick me up...the truck is still in VA ..broken crank.

I was about to go get some JB Weld to gunk up the crack in my exhaust..I am pretty good at back alley engineering:grin: .

But I am going to see what the First Subaru Church of the Resurection has to offer first.

Why dont you trade her, and a little cash? You could fix hers and turn around and sell it, making your money back.

Well I did leave out the part about it needing a windshield and that I have no title for it.:rolleyes: So a trade maynot be ideal.

So how did you make out at Pauls?