Ultimate Subaru Message Board

brake caliper troubles

JWX

I can't get the piston back in. I want to put new(ish) pads in and I can't get the piston in. I've never had a car fight me like this, I don't understand. what am I doing wrong? I am loosing the bleeder screw, turning the piston clockwise, pressing in on it. am I missing something? I don't have the tool for this but I will in the morning. just wanted to see if I'm doing something wrong.

edit- the car is my 88 RX

I can't get the piston back in. I want to put new(ish) pads in and I can't get the piston in. I've never had a car fight me like this, I don't understand. what am I doing wrong? I am loosing the bleeder screw, turning the piston clockwise, pressing in on it. am I missing something? I don't have the tool for this but I will in the morning. just wanted to see if I'm doing something wrong.

edit- the car is my 88 RX

They can be stubborn I know - I always use a squirt of WD40 around the piston and then use a 'G' clamp (Dont know what you Americans call it) to wind the piston back into the caliper assembly which seems to work well - oh and don't forget to remove the brake fluid reservoir cap to relieve a potential fluid lock sitaution and it also means you don't have to loosen off the bleed nipple and lose fluid - loosening the bleed nipple can also introduce air into the system but i'm sure you already know this.

Good luck.

Spector 303 England UK.

we call it a c-clamp...thats funny .g-clamp,c-clamp. sorry.oh yeah, you are doing it right.if at first yo9u don't succeed try "screwing" it back in with a clockwise motion using pliers.that has worked for me before.special tool or no special tool this job can suck..good luck man