Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Top Cleanerr...Sea Foam

How do I keep the car runnig when I pour Sea Foam into the carb? Is it safe to have someone reving the engine as I do it?

Also, if I add seafoam to my gas tank will it do the same as pouring it directly into the carb?....and should I change my oil after running with sea foam added to the crankcase? Will it cause oil breakdown?

Thanks, Matt

The way I keep my engine running with seafoam in the carb is I just pour it in really slowly. Another way is to use your finger on the throttle linkage to rev the engine as you pour. No, running it through your fuel tank will not do the same thing as it will clean your fuel lines and the innards of your carb before it ever gets to the valves. Yes, you should change your oil after adding seafoam. NOrmally, I don't use seafoam in the crank case. I use ATF there. However, were I to use seafoam, I would buy some relatively cheap oil and a cheap filter. Change the oil, add the seafoam, drive around for a few miles or until the engine gets good and hot. Then, change the oil and filter again, this time with good quality oil and filters. I personally use Valvoline 5-30 and Wix filters. Remember, though, that Napa and Parts Plus both have store brand oils that are repackaged Valvoline products.

Safety suggestion: Dont use your finger to hold the carb butterfly open. If the car backfires up thru the carburator you will be in a world of hurt. Instead use a long thin screwdriver and stand with your head back from it while you pour.