Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hello to all, the question that I have is in regards to my neighbors 1996 Subaru Wagon 2.2L with Automatic Trans, Model BK7BY1R. I have been helping her with oil changes, tune up and some minor repairs. However I am completely stumped with the current problem. When she is driving the car up a hill and it starts pulling a load the engine will start to ping a little then it will start loosing power and eventually stall. The car will then have a sulfur smell to the exhaust, sometimes the car will completely die and other times it will recover and keep running. If it does completely die it will start right back up and then run normally. I have replaced the fuel pump, fuel filter, check the timing, new spark plugs, wires, and coil. I have read in the shop manual on Knock Sensor and the ECU and this is the next area that I am diving into, if I could get any of your opinions or wisdom on helping isolate this problem I would be very grateful.

Thank You

Have you checked the exhaust system? Make sure there are no dents. Usually, the sulphur smell is an indication the catalyctic converter is not working correctly.

My father-in-law backed into a curb at the airport several years ago, and dented the tailpipe, he couldn't do over 40mph on the way home! :grin:

I would like to thank all of you for responding, I replaced the Knock Sensor yesterday and it fixed the problem… After inspecting the old sensor it had a hairline crack in the top of it which most likely caused it to short. Anyway my neighbor is glad to have her car running well. I appreciate all of you taking the time to respond, this is a great forum to help fellow Subaru owners.

Again, Thanks