Ultimate Subaru Message Board

rear differential

Hello,

I was wondering if you guys know of anyone who has an extra rear differential and maybe even axles to go with it. We need to get one cheap for our school project. We're building an off-road gokart to compete with other colleges. In the past we've done away with differential, but I think these little differentials would be perfect for us to use. The engine is a 10hp Briggs and we're not going over 35mph or anything. If you're interested there are some info here:

http://psubaja.spymac.net/

Does anyone know how much of an angle the CVs will operate reliably?

Thanks,

Andre S

PS: an LSD diff would be great. We just can't spend too much money on this; we don't have any sponsors.

The wheel hubs are ATV hubs (the rear was part of the axle, the front is an ATV hub). I'm not sure what ATV bolt patterns they are (it's 4x144mm). We made our own front spindles.

While the articulation was great, we didn't design an adequate sway bar, so there's a lot of body roll. We're going back to IRS now rather than a live axle like this one. We've done IRS in the past (H-arm w/ locating link, trailing arm, 5-link), but never done differential, even this live axle has no differential, 90 degree bevel gears out of some three wheeler that came this way.

While the engine is only 10hp, we're gearing it down to around 15-20:1 or so from engine down to wheel, and that makes for 300 - 400+ft-lbs of torque. Any ideas would be great as to what to use for the CV joints/U joints. We're aiming for 12 inches of suspension travel, and in the past we've needed angles like 60 degrees total to achieve 12-14 inches of travel.

Thanks,

Andre S

Bit rare, but Kawasaki 3-wheelers had a proper differential in the back axle, the only 30-wheeler to have one.

Another option for a chain-drive diff is to take a diffhead (crownwheel assembly) , eg suzuki alto or other <1 litre lightweight car, mount it in sealed bearings and seal all openings around the spidergears. Leave a small quantity of oil in the diffhead before you seal it right up or fit a bung to it, to lube the spider gears. Unbolt crownwheel, bolt on a sprocket, and you have a chaindriven IRS differential suspension.

Cool, when is a convenient time for me to come by and pick it up? Maybe you can also drive my car and see if it's normal for Subarus, especially if you have long hills in your area. Email me at:

andreosae_AT_yahoo_DOT_com

Thanks a lot! Any LSD gear sets out there? :-) wishful thinking on my part eh?

Andre S