Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2000 legacy spark plug wires, is there some trick to them?

ok, so I was about to replace the plugs on my 2000 legacy... the boots on the head were really tough... I was going to yank one real quick to see what shape they were in... decided to just yank the airbox water collector for easy access...

but, when I yanked on the boot it seeped oil... so it looks like there is oil in there, and the plug boot intentionally holds it in... is this normal? wtf?! is there some sort of trick to getting the wires off intact? I don't want to just yank them out and have them break... I wasn't planning on replacing the wires...

oh, and is the plug gap supposed to be .044? (:

thanks!

ok, so I was about to replace the plugs on my 2000 legacy... the boots on the head were really tough... I was going to yank one real quick to see what shape they were in... decided to just yank the airbox water collector for easy access...

but, when I yanked on the boot it seeped oil... so it looks like there is oil in there, and the plug boot intentionally holds it in... is this normal? wtf?! is there some sort of trick to getting the wires off intact? I don't want to just yank them out and have them break... I wasn't planning on replacing the wires...

oh, and is the plug gap supposed to be .044? (:

thanks!

Check the recent messages here. Someone else just had the exact same problem with oil in the spark plug chambers. IIRC, it had to do with bad seals on the plugs. Someone here will be able to help you more.

As far as getting the boots off..they can be difficult sometimes..it's a “twist while you pull” motion that's needed. You can also buy an inexpensive special spark plug wire remover tool at Pep Boys or NAPA.

Your gap is correct.

Hope this helps.

Ed