Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82 running with no fuel pump

Anyone ever have a engine run with no fuel pump? I just happened to test my pump last night, and it doesnt work. I think my car has been like that since I got it 6 years ago. Its never cold started right, and after it sat for more then 4 or 5 days, you'd have to pump the gas pedal til your foot hurt to get it started.

I've always thought a car needed a pump to move the fuel since the tank is in the back and lower then the engine, but apparently not.

If the bowl vent was plogged, maybe the suction from the jet would pull gas from the tank, but it seems very unlikely to me. The pumping of the accelerator may have been pulling gas from the tank through the suction of the accelerator pump, but I doubt the car would run without the pump.

How did you test it? I had a similar thought when I went to test mine by taking if off the car and hooking up my battery charger to it. My charger has a switch with three different settings on it. I believe the settings are 3 amps (trickle charge), 10 amps (fast charge), and 50 amps (start). The pump would only work with the charger set on the start mode.

The fuel pump circuit is protected by a 15 amp fuse, so that makes sense, I guess.

it cant get fuel from below the carb up to the carb witout some kind of pump. you must have tested it wrong. gravity doesnt work like that.

Its all about suction. Every time I take my gas cap off the tank is pressurized. On the engines in our boats, some guys run with out a fuel pump. once you get that fuel line full of fuel, it will suck its own fuel (to a certain point) my car bogged down hard at higher RPMS.

To test it I pulled the fuel line off, started the car and watched for fuel to come out of the fuel line. Nothing came out at all with the old pump on.

Installed the new one, fuel sprayed everywhere. Most noticable on the upper RPMS.