Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Need help identifying Forester A/C relay

A local mechanic says the A/C pressures are fine but the compressor on my '99 Forester L is not getting voltage. The fuse is fine. He suspects the relay may be bad and I'm hoping one of the helpful individuals on this board might have access to the wiring schematics for the Forester. Perhaps most of the Subarus from that time frame have similar wiring layouts. My nearest Subaru garage (40 miles) wants $60 just to open the bay door...seems a bit much. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Timo

Guest St Nickolas

I don't have one. I'm still in a 91 Legacy. Someday I'll upgrade. On my Legacy, the relay related to the hi/lo pressure switches is behind the glove compartment.

If anyone else doesn't have one, see this site:

www.alldatadiy.com/

I have purchased their CD-ROM for some cars and have been happy with it. Used to be for sale at Autozone, Advance Auto(?) and K-MArt as the Popular Mechanics CD-ROM. I haven't found them. One manager said they were pulled from their store. He thinks ppl would copy the CD and then return them.

Good luck,

Nick

Guest Forester Dude

Timo, it's in the black relay and fuse box located on the left hand side just in front of the strut tower. Well at least mine is (right hand drive).

Before you go and buy a genuine one, swap the suspect relay with one of the other serviceable ones in there. If your Forester has fogs, use the relay from them. That way you can eliminate the relay as the problem. If it is the relay, check with your auto electrician. A genuine Suby one costs AU$50+ !!! Aftermarket Japanese AU$15 !!

So there are some savings to be had ;)

The relay box in the engine compartment has so many relays that I thought I would search the message board to narrow it down. Looks like I'll try swapping them between identical types and see what happens. Thank you for your help.

I've determined that the relay is fine, but the compressor still will not work despite having adequate refrigerant pressure. I'm hoping someone might suggest the cause for this. I've read some info on jumping the compressor directly from the battery just to get it going. Also I understand that there is a pressure switch involved but I'm not sure exactly where that is located on the Forester. Any help is appreciated.

Timo

Guest Cougar4

I suppose this happened just out of the warranty period.

If this were my Soob I would order the factory service manual for the wiring at least. To get all the manuals can be fairly spendy but having the wiring manual will be handy to have for things later. The wiring on Soobs seems to be pretty trouble free from my experience, but I have looked things up a number of times in my manual.

Another thing you might try is getting a test light and checking things like the switch to see if that is doing its job.

Glen