Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hey all,

New to this web community, I'm liking what I am seeing. Anyway, I have a 2002 Legacy GT Limited (2.5) with 44,500 miles. I've noticed, especially in warmer temps with the windows down, a significant knocking in the engine around 30-40 MPH...I took it to my dealer and they said after driving it, they heard it too, and recommended I up my gas octane. So I switched to 89 octane from the MFR recommended 87, which helped a little but it still makes the knocking/pinging sound. I heard somewhere that this is a recurring problem on the 02's, and that the 02's are also prone to blown head gaskets down the road. I am hoping this is not the case. Plus It just blew a headlight and that irks me because in all the cars I have had, all of which ended up with over 100K, none of them ever blew a bulb, nevermind a headlight. Maybe I am expecting too much, but I never see other Subes with blown headlights. Hopefully I didn't get a lemon! Any input you all have would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Pinging...Spark plugs been changed??

If yes then ask the dealer if there is a reset for the computer that could be done.

There are some TSBs on this but it didn't maker any difference on my 2000 Legacy GT . The biggest difference was after I changed the plugs and I haven't noticed any further improvement from the reset.

Yeah there seems to be a conscensus that the '02 model year (and to a lesser degree '03) had a lot of vehicles with spark knock, lean stumble, etc. Someone one alt.autos.subaru posted that after taking the issue up with his dealer and not backing down, the dealer eventually installed thicker head gaskets that dropped the c.r. between 1/4 - 1/2 point. He claims the car runs fine now.

I have no idea if these gaskets are avaibable to the dealer as part of a TSB on this specific problem or what.