Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Subybus getting there

bluesbug

Got my EA81 installed in the 60 VW panel van.Still waiting on a new radiator,but wiring,brakes etc are all done.Rad is mounted behind the engine and electric fans pull air in from the back.Thanks for all the helpful advice from bugaru and others.I can't wait to get this puppy on the road.

I saw a complete Legacy engine at the junkyard this weekend...Hmmm..

One project at a time I guess.

BTW if aanyone needs a complete 82 GL less engine in west Texas come and get it..

Later,

Bluesbug

I've been thinking about putting an ea81 into a bay window type 2 for some time now. Looking forward to hearing about and seeing pics of your bus! By the way

are you getting some serious grief from the hard core VW crowd for putting an

ea81 in a 60 Bus?

Cheers,

Chris

By the way

are you getting some serious grief from the hard core VW crowd for putting an

ea81 in a 60 Bus?

Cheers,

Chris

I'm getting 'HERESY' put on my license plates for this same reason. Both the subaru and VW people think it's heretic.

If HERESY is taken, then it's getting AXSPWRS (axis powers).

The buddies are very supportive . No pix yet but the new rad is now installed.I have looked for this panel for years,and it's like a dream come true.Suby engines are great!If ferdinand would have lived long enough he would be proud.This is the best of both worlds.A flat four with power and dependability.

A flat four with a HEATER!!!!

I just remembered I had a friend in Estes Park Colo. that had a 60-62 panel

with cargo doors on both sides of the bus, love those split window rides.

Please post some pics, I'm really wanting to see the end product!

Cheers,

Chris

A flat four with a HEATER!!!!

I just remembered I had a friend in Estes Park Colo. that had a 60-62 panel

with cargo doors on both sides of the bus, love those split window rides.

I seen that one!!! gorgeous.. i don't member the color,but my father pointed it out a few years ago- must have gotten parts from his shop or something.

Has anyone seen pictures of the chopped one in Loveland, CO that has the iron cross on the back windows- violent lime green and at one of the dealers on Lincoln? My buddy wound up, and he blew away my friends tacoma last night. HAHA, mike deserves that for running a 2.7L tacoma. He wrapped up and must have been running a straight pipe- it barked! plus the tires skid every time he shifted. I want to find out if that's a subie-powered.

Good luck with prject heresy, that sounds awesome!!

Update. Got it running last night and fixed a pesky water leak.This weekend it may actually come out of the shop under it's own power.Fans come on at 210,and the temp never gets above that.Starts easy,idles perfect ,and has plenty of power.Do I sound EXCITED!

Sweet!

Ok, stupid question time...I take it your rad hinges on the bottom, and

closes flat against the back? I really hope you'll keep us updated on the

project, esp how the cooling works out? Thanks again for the pic, it's

giving me new hopes and ideas for a family hauler.

Cheers,

Chris

Correct.

Hinges on bottom,and bolts with big washers thru the rad that pinch the bulkhead on top.Had to refab the lower VW crossmember to lower it for clearance,but plenty of room now.Two pix posted in the gallery.

Today I painted the cargo area and did some adj on the front doors.

Thanks for the interest

This is great. If I ever sell my Hatch, I plan on buying the Kennedy kit for my 73 westy. I will put a great running ea-81 I have, with a weber and ea-82 manifold. 'Bout 85-90 hp then I figure, much better than 62 hp stock on a motor than weighs over 100 lbs more.

Can you send some pics my way particularly of the modified engine crossmember? Did you use the Kennedy kit?

Dis you get a rad made so that the hoses would be on the bottom so there would not be much flex needed? Plan on keeping the engine hatch on? I have seen one with the engine hatch replaced and it didn't look as good.

Regards,

Mark

The crossmember I was referring to is actually the rear apron,a body part that was modified to lower the radiator.The engine with kennedy adapter installed into the VW transaxle with no modification at all.It went in in about an hour,not counting wiring,exaust,etc...The oil pan isnt even all that much lower.

Wiring was pretty simple,but I had to run extra wires for the water temp and oil pressure guages which are electric units.

From where and how much did you get you radiator? Is it custom made? two row? al or copper? How thick is it?

What kind of fan are you using? Low profile or standard? Are you going to pull air through rad, or push air out through rad? I gather the fan is going to be on the inside facing the engine.

Did you custom make an engine support crossmember? Someone else told me that they were just going to hang the engine off of the tranny with no additional support. I feel that an engine cross member is likely needed like what it is in the stock application.

Did the kennedy kit come with good directions?

Thanks for answering these questions.

Mark

The radiator is a stock 82 suby that cost $129/w a lifetime warranty.Top hose is extra long to facilitate opening.Fans are both stock 80's suby and have plenty of clearance.

Tranny supports engine fine,but a xmember could be fabbed easily enough if needed.

Now if it would just warm up so I could finish painting my subybus!

• 4 weeks later...
The radiator is a stock 82 suby that cost $129/w a lifetime warranty.Top hose is extra long to facilitate opening.Fans are both stock 80's suby and have plenty of clearance.

Tranny supports engine fine,but a xmember could be fabbed easily enough if needed.

Now if it would just warm up so I could finish painting my subybus!

Could you clarify exactly how the engine is mounted?

The adapter bolts to the engine and the whole assy then bolts to the transaxle just like an engine bolts in on any beetle or other air cooled VW.I built a jack cradle to avoid the oil pan while jacking the motor in place.

BTW the subybus is now painted and going back together,and PIX will be posted soon.