Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Cruise & Other Switch bulbs, 95-99 Legacy/Outback

Guest PAezb

Ok, I'm somewhat peeved at the dealership. Last fall when I had my 96' Outback in for some routine maintenance, I asked if they would replace a blown bulb in the Cruise switch. They told me those switches (cruise, fog lights, rear defroser) were sealed, and non-serviceable, and the only option was to replace the switch itself at $96 (labor included). I declined obviously.

With the weather much warmer, I'm tackling some other maintenance items myself and decided to look at the switch. I pulled the trim around the instrument display to which the switches are mounted (4 screws) and popped the cruise switch out. No big deal.

The switch(es) all have 2 serviceable bulbs in removeable holders located on the side of the switch itself, 1 for night back display, and 1 for the on/off indicator itself.

Can anyone offer the part numbers for these bulbs and where I might purchase them?

Damn dealerships, I'm done going to any of them locally for service.

Paul

Guest Commuter

If your 96 is like my 97 (and I think it is the same dash), you didn't have to remove any of the dash. You can just get a small flat screwdriver in on the bottom side of the switch and carefully pry it out. It pops right out.

Find another dealer. These bulbs are used in the climate control as well. Same bulb. There is also a post in the archives under climate control bulbs. I reported in that post about changing the bulbs in the switch. If you want, you can buy just the bulb from Radio Shack and reuse the base. The part no. is 7219 (12V, 60 mA). Under $2 for 2 I believe. The bulbs I got from the dealer had a green plastic sleeve over them. It is not necessary (and I don't think my original bulbs had them), but it actually made the icon (pictogram) brighter in my case. The bulb plus base from the dealer is about $5 I think, not inexpensive.

If you have seat heaters, the same Radio Shack bulb will work for those switches as well. Again, there is a post in the archives. (May be part of the same post... don't recall off hand.)

Commuter

Guest PAezb

Commuter,

Thanks for the info. I'll run down to Radio Shack today and hopefully they'll have the bulbs in stock.

Yeah, I realized after looking at how the switches were mounted that I needn't have pulled the trim. Still, removing the trim took all of 30 seconds. Not being absolutely sure on how the switches were mounted from behind I decided to play it safe the first time. Your info is much appreciated.

Thanks again, Paul

Guest Commuter

You're welcome. Not a problem.

I was lucky in that a mechanic at my dealer told me how to pop out the switches. I was ready to tackle the dash myself. I never did look as to what it would take. Good to know that it comes apart that easily.

Commuter