Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I started my custom grill....teaser pics

well since i have alot of free time, and my dremel back, i decide to start my grill project. still have alot of fiberglass, bondo, and sanding to do. here's a quick pic to see what a badgeless rx grill would llok like..

they look like this..

401jake_008-med.jpg

I cut out the emblem with about 2in of the slat on each side

then form another 2dr grill i cut out the middle slat big enough to sill the opening.

401nw11.JPG

it's my first time trying this, so i got alot of gap to fill...

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
done yet??

-brian

well after after 5 months:rolleyes: i got off my @ss to finish this up. i allready did a 2 sesions of filling and sanding and i still have alot left to do.. so anyway i gave the center section a quick spray with paint so i could get a better feel for what it will look like. here ya go

401downtown_003.jpg

About time! I found 2 Coupes at the Yard today and i was going to swipe their grills so I could modify them. But I didnt :) Just takes too much time and that bondo messes me up!

-Brian

Hmmmm maybe I just don't know all the details, but couldn't you just use a plastic welder? I haven't done anything with grills, but I have repaired plastic fairings for motorcycles (last one was from my '01 ZX9r .. 900 ninja) with a very in-expensive welder I bought at harbor freight. I sold some of these fairings on ebay for a good price. I would think over time that the vibration would cause bondo to crack since it doesn't expand and shrink at the same rate as the plastic under it?

Either way, that grill looks great!

I can't wait to be able to get pics of my custom bumper up when I have my own computer on-line again ... especially once I have the Brat painted :banana: