Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How do you tighten the serpentine belt?

99 Legacy Outback 2.5L

Just got it back from shop for timing belt, water pump, cam seals ($450 at Auto Lab). I don't think they tightened the Serp Belt enough when they put it back together. I would take it back and make them tighten it, but it's a 15 mile trip each way and I don't have time. I'm guessing it's pretty easy. Could tell me what to tighten and where? Thanks in advance.

Loosen the nut on the face of the idler pulley. (IMPORTANT) You don't need to remove the nut -- just loosen it.

Look above the idler pulley, you'll see a bolt head. The bolt points toward the ground at a slight angle from vertical. You turn this bolt to move the idler pulley. This changes the tension on the accessory belt.

When the accessory belt is at the correct tension, tighten the nut on the face of the idler pulley. This will lock the nut that travels along the adjusting bolt when you turn the bolt. The idler pulley shaft is part of this travelling nut.

I hope this is clear enough.