Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Wheel bearings......

Guest chef tim

Guest chef tim

Anyone know the standard rear wheel bearing size/number for an 86 hatchback 4wd???? I'm gonna try and get sealed bearings for the rear while I have it all apart. Thanks, Tim

Guest chef tim

Soooooo..... I'm making some calls, and checking my parts book. It appears as if there is a "wheel bearing assembly" on the 4wd. Advance Auto can get me the bearings and seals for about $55 a side. Does this sound about right. I'm gonna pop the SOA part number into subaruparts.com just to get an idea of prices. Thanks, Tim

Guest chef tim

$105 retail, $80 from subaruparts. Guess I just bit the bullet. Might as well......

New Parts........ front struts,axles, wheel bearings, seals, brake rotors, pads, brake seal kit, tie rods, ball joints, BYB lift, REAR.... LSD, Sensatrak shocks, brake kit (shoes, springs), wheel bearings, seals, Also put longer wheel studs on and put in my xt-6 alt. Still need CCR engine and 5spd swap. and a Weber kit (from Cameron when he gets moved in to his new house). May as well call it a "new" car............LOL. Later, Tim

Guest chef tim

I just don't see the need for it with what I do with this thing. I don't use alot of brake in the mud,,,,,LOL. Later, Tim

Guest stephenw22

if the rear bearings are the same for all 4wd's (with disk or drum brakes), then your price sounds about right. I picked a bearing and seals up a while ago, and I'm finally taking it to a shop tomorrow to have it done (no time to do it myself)

the price was about CAD$90 for the bearing, if I remember right. another 10 or 15 for the seals.

I looked high and low for an equivalent bearing that came in a sealed version, but I haven't had any luck. the SKF bearing part number is: GRW142 (on the box)

note: i just looked at the bearing unit itself, and it looks like the actual bearing is an NTN in an SKF box - weird. the part number on the bearing is: 4T-CRI-0685.

Guest edrach

Try www.expressautoparts.com/; $39.22 for the wheel bearing kit for your car plus shipping. If you buy two kits, they will pay shipping. I've bought a number of things here; they ship promptly and I've never had a problem with them. So far everything I've bought has been quality; once they were out of stock on an item and substituted genuine Subaru at no additional charge. They just sent it instead of what they would normally send. Good luck with it.

Guest chef tim

Thanks Ed (and everyone else of course), I just placed an order with them. You might as well go get a new cap. On there site was a friend referal box, put me in as: Tim Wenzel, dtwenzel@earthlink.net. I hope it still works even if I've already ordered. Thanks again, Tim